Fly Fusion Forums

Yellowstone

We are heading to Montana in July and staying on the Yellowstone River just north of the Park. Anyone have any recommendations for places to fish in the area? I'm not bringing my boat but will probably take a float tube. Was thinking about taking a trip with a guide from Dan Baileys. There is so much water in the area to fish and I imagine the crowds will be insane wondering if anyone has any tips to share.

I was there when I was about 15 and JUST learning to fly fish. I remember the yellowstone river itself didn't open till July 15th... but maybe that has changed. I hit it on opening day and there was a LOT of guys on it (like, 15 in view everywhere you went), but even I managed 4 big cutts by using stonefly nymphs. The fish would actually use my legs as a current break, it was crazy. If you get a chance, take a boat ride over to the south end of the big lake (yellowstone lake) in the park. The cutty fishing was insane... really insane, a fish on every cast almost. Maybe they still run those boat rides over there (they drop ya off with a canoe or such)...

I was there when I was about 15 and JUST learning to fly fish. I remember the yellowstone river itself didn't open till July 15th... but maybe that has changed. I hit it on opening day and there was a LOT of guys on it (like, 15 in view everywhere you went), but even I managed 4 big cutts by using stonefly nymphs. The fish would actually use my legs as a current break, it was crazy. If you get a chance, take a boat ride over to the south end of the big lake (yellowstone lake) in the park. The cutty fishing was insane... really insane, a fish on every cast almost. Maybe they still run those boat rides over there (they drop ya off with a canoe or such)...

Great, thanks for the info.

I think between whirling disease and a lake trout introduction into Yellowstone lake, the number of Cutts in the river has decreased from what it once was. I was last there in the late 80's and you could feed Cutts caddis flies as they sat in the eddy behind your legs. You could catch fish pretty much every cast then--14-23" Cutts. It was awful. The upper river is packed with fishermen, but the lower river was wide open. You could also try some of the rivers and tributaries coming from the NE corner of the park. There is also some nice lakes with trout and grayling in the park.