Fly Fusion Forums

Peace River

I will be heading up to the Peace River area for the summer to do some wildfire fighting.

Has anyone ever fished there?? I assume there are plenty of lakes and offcourse the peace river, are they any good for fishing? Any tips would be awesome!

thanks,

Mike

I will be heading up to the Peace River area for the summer to do some wildfire fighting.

Has anyone ever fished there?? I assume there are plenty of lakes and offcourse the peace river, are they any good for fishing? Any tips would be awesome!

thanks,

Mike

I fished for a few hours on my way through highlevel/manning area once. I caught a few dozen walley and some mooneye or goldeye on streamers... Seems that "fishy" looking water has lots of fish in it, or I was really lucky and hit a few schools of fish.

Also saw 1 mother bear with 3 tiny cubs (black bears) while fishing, so be aware.

Where abouts are you heading? If you get a chance go into the woobbuffalo park for a look. It is spectacular and you will see all kinds of wildlife if you keep quiet.

J5

The Peace country is a big region. I grew up there and only know part of it. Forest fire duty could take you in any direction from the farm area as there's bush all around.

Grayling in the western and hilly areas.

Everything under the sun in the Peace River itself.

Most lakes are stocked with trout or have native sharks and walleye.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the tips. I do not know where exactly I will be posted, my training will be in Manning, but after that, I could be roaming around a bit, depending on what happends this summer, fire wise.

I will def bring the flyrod with me, just in case I get some doent time near by some water.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not going to debate this, but bull trout have 19-24 branchiostegal rays and Dollies have 24-29. Take a picture and count next time you catch one. Shouldn't be any native Dollies in AB. Two different fish species as far as I'm concerned, lol.

Where to fish! Taco, you've played up there!

Thanks Adam. It's on the list

I worked out of Peace last year and was a bit surprised that there wasn't better fishing. I thought that being that far north (I'm from Calgary) I'd be up to my elbows in big pike and grayling. We did find some ok grayling in the Chinchaga but it can be a rough haul in and if it rains the road get awful slick.

Figure Eight Lake is very close to Peace and it never dissapointed me (for trout). If you have a boat of some type, go straight out from the launch to the closest shore and work close to the bank from the tip and go north to the start of the shallow bay. I always had luck with wooly buggers (green, purple, black). Also if you're south of Peace, closer to Valleyview, hit East Dollar. It's a great little belly-boat lake full of hungry trout that seem to like leech patterns.

Remi