Fly Fusion Forums

New Toy

reevesr1

....Don't tell me you're joining that "Long Rod" group that is taking over the Bow

Shouldn't be long before I'm the only person on the river with a dinky little 9 foot rod casting to rising fish while surrounded by a bunch of "Swingers" dredging the bottom :P

I don't think 10' is really all that long! I want to try it for some high sticking pre and post runoff. I have a very, very specific spot in mind!

I had my choice of pretty much anything I wanted to test. So here was the thought process:

Rods I have now:

7'6" TFO Finess 3 wt

9' TFO TiCR 5 wt

9' Milano 8 wt (which I really like by the way)

So it was between and 4 and a 6 to test. I decided that since I would fish it mostly on the bow, I'd try the 6. I went with 10' just to try.

Pretty nice looking rod though Rick. Why not open all of your options right? I'm just too old and stubborn to deal with any change that's all

I'm also a die-hard former ski bum, so this Spey Craze looks a lot like snowboarders taking over the ski hills back a few years... :angry:

I grew to accept that, so I think I'll get thru this too.

Pretty nice looking rod though Rick. Why not open all of your options right? I'm just too old and stubborn to deal with any change that's all

I'm also a die-hard former ski bum, so this Spey Craze looks a lot like snowboarders taking over the ski hills back a few years... :angry:

I grew to accept that, so I think I'll get thru this too.

Brett,

So does that mean I have to whipe the dust off my 9 footer when we go on our walk and wade, or can a bring out the big sticks and show you what nymphing with a spey rod (even though I am still a beginner) is all about?

*Grin*

Brett,

So does that mean I have to whipe the dust off my 9 footer when we go on our walk and wade, or can a bring out the big sticks and show you what nymphing with a spey rod (even though I am still a beginner) is all about?

*Grin*

Bobber fishing is still bobber fishing, whether or not you're using a steelhead rod ;)

Nice stick, let us know how she performs

Brett,

*Grin*

Bring what ever you're comfortable with. I'll point, you cast....set the hook and I'll net the fish, take the picture. Lather, rinse...repeat.

Depending on what time of year we get to do our thing, you might want to bring the little stick for dries tho. ;)

Rickr i already have a 10 ft 6 wt and its the cats ass as far as I am concerned. Doesn't even feel any longer after casting with it for a while and it works for everything even tiny creeks..... though it is more powerful then is needed for the small stuff. I think you are gonna love that rod. I will have to try to meet up with you sometime to give it a try if you don't mind. Also just wait till you see how that rod will roll a rig way out there without breaking a sweat. Plus it will make a sick bulltrout rod.......

....Don't tell me you're joining that "Long Rod" group that is taking over the Bow

Shouldn't be long before I'm the only person on the river with a dinky little 9 foot rod casting to rising fish while surrounded by a bunch of "Swingers" dredging the bottom :P

I'll be right next to ya buddy, we'll be fine ;)

Soon enough we'll be trying to enjoy a nice day on the water and all the "Long Rodders" will be heckling us from the bank for being out of style and uncool....(Yup, another Snowboarder vs Skier Crack).

In all honesty Rick, I haven't tried any long rods yet because I'm afraid of myself. I'm too compulsive and know for sure that I'd end up going "All the way" and once again be wondering why my bank account keeps dwindling.

Plus, I just bought another pontoon boat and another new Sage last week. See, I just can't help myself!

Soon enough we'll be trying to enjoy a nice day on the water and all the "Long Rodders" will be heckling us from the bank for being out of style and uncool....(Yup, another Snowboarder vs Skier Crack).

In all honesty Rick, I haven't tried any long rods yet because I'm afraid of myself. I'm too compulsive and know for sure that I'd end up going "All the way" and once again be wondering why my bank account keeps dwindling.

Plus, I just bought another pontoon boat and another new Sage last week. See, I just can't help myself!

Is a 10 footer a "long rod"?

lmao classic dude

Bring what ever you're comfortable with. I'll point, you cast....set the hook and I'll net the fish, take the picture. Lather, rinse...repeat.

Depending on what time of year we get to do our thing, you might want to bring the little stick for dries tho. ;)

Nah dude I will let you deciede what I bring out, I am comfortable using both but you the guide and know better then me.

The biggest reason I went to the big stick easier on my shoulder for casting......

I am getting one of these in the next several weeks to test.

Scierra Rod

I remember LoneFisher talking about wanting a 10' rod. So I decided to go with a 10' 6/7 with the reel shown, which is a Scierra XDR. I should get it in time for the Spring. Can't wait, and will post opinions later.

I bought the CTC 9ft 4line travel rod and love it to death.

http://www.scierra.com/?product=258

Is a 10 footer a "long rod"?

Rick, be very careful....

A 10' rod seems innocent enough, but, soon the 10 footer won't be "doing it" for you anymore.

And you'll think,"Hmmmm... what's the harm in going up to a 12 footer?"

Then, there's the 13... then the 15... then a different action in another 13...until you're a

full-blown Spey addict!

That's right, my friend- a 10' rod is a "gateway rod".

Be very careful... :P