Fly Fusion Forums

Some Sort Of Sjw Or Chironomid I Guess..

birchy

Yeah I tie'em with red yarn (depending on the thickness of the yarn I may double it up) over lead wire with or without a bead. I use both thin wire or thicker mylar for the ribbing and am considering flashaboo. The ones I tie also do not have a tail or tag end at the head (have never had any luck with those chenille ones). Also, I find using wire too heavy tough the last one I tied also had a bead, so that may have been why...

Cheers,

Peter

Red stretch floss is good for these types of .... sanJuanomids. I use it on my Sn Cone patterns and it gives you a smooth base and it tapers nicely by adjusting the tension you have on the materials. You can also put some red holographic tinsel underneath to give it a bump.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW birchy, that will work great tagged off the "big red midge"... like as your bottom fly. Then both will be down deep and you'll pick up fish on both. Real bloodworms in the Bow are about a size 20, and pretty close to that color of red, have pumped 'em outta fish this time of year, almost every sample had numerous bloodworms in it. (mind you I haven't pumped a fish for 3 or 4 years, but I sure things haven't changed too much)