Fly Fusion Forums

Eagle River, Labrador

Flytyer

Has anyone here ever fished this river? I know bombers are commonly used here but looking for other flies that may be effective there as I'm going there either in July or August of this year to fish for Atlantic salmon. Any info appreciated.

Has anyone here ever fished this river? I know bombers are commonly used here but looking for other flies that may be effective there as I'm going there either in July or August of this year to fish for Atlantic salmon. Any info appreciated.

Was there two years ago.

Wet flies: Blue Charm, Hairwing Onset, Atherton Squirreltail, Orange Charm, Minktail, Green Butt, Arndilly Fancy, Hairwing Highlander and Black Fitchtail.

Dry Flies: Gray Wulff, White Wulff, Royal Wulff, Rat-faced McDougall and Hairwinged Black Gnat

I'd wait for a little later in July to be on the safe side, last year the ice was late leaving and was towards the end of July before fishing was decent ..

a few to add to SD's list - Thunder and Lightning, black silver tip, yellow and orange cossaboom, Sids Caddis & few different color whiskers patterns .. having wets with both a light and dark wing will prove very useful, I use white calf tail for light and moose for dark.

learn about fishing a half hitch (riffle hitch) if this is your first time for Altlantics.

I'd wait for a little later in July to be on the safe side, last year the ice was late leaving and was towards the end of July before fishing was decent ..

a few to add to SD's list - Thunder and Lightning, black silver tip, yellow and orange cossaboom, Sids Caddis & few different color whiskers patterns .. having wets with both a light and dark wing will prove very useful, I use white calf tail for light and moose for dark.

learn about fishing a half hitch (riffle hitch) if this is your first time for Altlantics.

I have the option of July, August or September being I have a summer home on the rock near St. John's. I'll be going there with an old CAF buddy that lives in Mount Pearl and he has an open schedule so we can check on conditions before heding out. I'll be working out there again this summer and looking forward to being back out there and have some fresh pan fried cod with stuffing and chips and gravey. Almost forgot I'll be sucking back a few QV honey ambers as well :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions on the flies.

Now that the roads opened up alot of fellas are trying to take a boat up the river. Make sure you know whatd your doin if you are because its something like 10 miles of open ocean between the road and the mouth of the river, and once you get to the river gitting up the river is no easy feat. But hell i have no idea of your plans. Just a heads up!