Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Line Longer Life Idea

I always clip my fingernails before fishing. I found that it actually really helps keep your line from cracking and waering where you hands touch it most, especially nymphing bow river style with a lot of hooksets , etc. Anyone else tried this or other things that work for you (aside from regular cleaning / lubing your line)..?

fingernails would make sense i guess, my biggest threat to line is the fact that i don't pay attention to where im stripping it and it ends up between rocks or under my feet

You could get one of those uber cool washtub stripping baskets! :blink:

If you are really serious about prolonging the life of your fly line you should stop messing around and

use self adhesive moleskin on the ends of all 8 fingers as well as your thumbs. Keep in mind that the installation of moleskin is optional on the thumb that is on the rod handle as there is no line contact with this thumb. However, to be completely safe why not just make the added expense of a little more moleskin and do it up right.

If you are really seriuos about this you will remove all of your fingernails. Also during summer months when wading wet you should remove toenails as loose line around feet will cause premature line coating wear. Furthermore, the wax used for ferrules on rods is very effective at protecting your line when used on knuckles, knees, elbows, etc.

You should also consider removing all exposed body hair as the short and curlies really beat the tar out of lines, especially floating lines.

Another item to consider is if fingernails lead to this kind of fly line wear we should really think about some sort of felt sleeve or something similar for guides, line guards on reels, etc.

Just a few thoughts for those extreme anglers out there who want to get the most out of their gear.

If you are really serious about prolonging the life of your fly line you should stop messing around and

use self adhesive moleskin on the ends of all 8 fingers as well as your thumbs. Keep in mind that the installation of moleskin is optional on the thumb that is on the rod handle as there is no line contact with this thumb. However, to be completely safe why not just make the added expense of a little more moleskin and do it up right.

If you are really seriuos about this you will remove all of your fingernails. Also during summer months when wading wet you should remove toenails as loose line around feet will cause premature line coating wear. Furthermore, the wax used for ferrules on rods is very effective at protecting your line when used on knuckles, knees, elbows, etc.

You should also consider removing all exposed body hair as the short and curlies really beat the tar out of lines, especially floating lines.

Another item to consider is if fingernails lead to this kind of fly line wear we should really think about some sort of felt sleeve or something similar for guides, line guards on reels, etc.

Just a few thoughts for those extreme anglers out there who want to get the most out of their gear.

Or you could get married. :P

I assume your making fun of me here Markd, but I brought up a serious point. How many of you SERIOUS bow river nymph fisherman notice line wear at the points that you hold while in a drift? or while setting the hook, etc. Check line guides, and cut yer fingernails... if you fish like me and set the hook on everything, your gonna cut into the line with anything and everything.

Nice tip Hawg.

I've actually found that cleaning line too often reduces the life of fly line and results in cracking. I used to wash lines after almost every trip and they would never last more than a few months. Now I just give my 444 the odd rub-down with the Cortland cleaning pad and it has performed beautifully for a year, in various conditions and provinces, with no signs of wear.