Fly Fusion Forums

Lines For Single-handed Spey

headscan

Wow, the OptiStream is a fantastic line. It probably wasn't the best day to test the line for spey casting with all the wind, but it still performed well. I'm sure if my spey casting ability was better I wouldn't have had any problems. I was still able to shoot a rod length of line on a double spey when the wind died down. I also found it was kind of strange spey casting with a one-handed rod right after using a two hander. Probably the difference in rod and line weight.

Overhead casting was easily better than my Sharkskin line. My hauls are usually mediocre, but I was able to shoot around 20 feet of line on a double haul. As Greg pointed out to me it's probably because you can really feel the line load the rod so it's easier to time the haul. Even picking the line up, single back cast and throw I was able to launch a decent cast. The best part is that even with the distance I was able to get with the line the presentation was delicate enough that I'd feel comfortable casting a size 18 dry to rising fish. I was casting the 4 weight line on a 4 weight Loop OptiStream rod. Very nice casting rod. These definitely won't be my last Loop purchases.

I didn't have a chance to try the Multi line. Hopefully next weekend...

cool,

I am glad that you like them. That opti stream rod matched with the 4 optistream is my normal rig for the Birkenhead river. The Birk is a fast flowing brushy little gem of a Trout stream. Long casts are not need but accuracy is key as these fish are tucked in under branches. funBirkenhead

Beauty stream Whistler!!! B) Love little gems like that

Brian,

Any idea how well polytips would work on the OptiStream or Multi lines for single-handed spey casting? I'm starting to lean towards using lines and tips to get my flies down instead of heavily weighted flies. A sinking polytip on a floating line is more versatile (and cheaper) than having both floating and sink tip lines for my purposes.

Trout polyleaders should be alright on the opti line, though don't expect the same casting performance. If you are serious about sink tip fishing there is a sink tip version of the multi line which casts great.

Had a feeling that would be the case. I'll give the polyleader a try and see what shakes out. I'd only be using it for tight line nymphing, so I wouldn't need too much distance or delicacy. The reason I wanted to go with a polyleader instead of an actual sink tip line is so that I can switch from floating for dry fly fishing to something sinking for nymphs while on the water. Different lines + spools for each also makes it a lot more expensive to vary your sink rates depending on the water depth and flow. Bah, maybe I'll just bite the bullet and keep using the weighted nymphs.

Useing a sinking polytip on the OptiStream line works really well,especially the 5' versions. If you get desperate ,do the unthinkable and do cut a foot or so off the front taper on the opti Stream line. The front taper is long enough and isn't really designed for delicate presentation anyway. I have fished the Opti-Stream for 4 or 5 years now,especially in Small stream situations for trout and Steelhead ,over the course of time the front taper shortens anyway.That line is sure a lot of fun to work with.

C

Useing a sinking polytip on the OptiStream line works really well,especially the 5' versions. If you get desperate ,do the unthinkable and do cut a foot or so off the front taper on the opti Stream line. The front taper is long enough and isn't really designed for delicate presentation anyway. I have fished the Opti-Stream for 4 or 5 years now,especially in Small stream situations for trout and Steelhead ,over the course of time the front taper shortens anyway.That line is sure a lot of fun to work with.

C

Think I'll try it with a short polyleader, but if that doesn't work I'll just use weighted flies rather than start chopping line.