Fly Fusion Forums

Best Fly Line For Fast Action Rod

Rainbow

Just bought a Redington RS4 9ft fast action rod and want to use it with an intermediate sink line on lakes. I was wondering what would be the best kind of line to use with fast action rod? I might add that I am not an expert caster.

Thanks for you input

well i would say go toss a few lines at your local shop...a quick fix would be too overline it. im not too familiar with sinking lines but the rio outbound is a great distance line...snowbee has a line xs-ed line with a sinktip. i have one in a full floating and its a sick line for my faster stick.

I use a hardy angel, arguably the fastest around, and I wouldn't go past a hardy mach2, very responsive and goes out as straight as a knitting needle, the large front taper will increase distance, provided you concentrate on tight loop formation to maintain line speed, you will get distance with any line though, the distance lines only improve on it really

I use a hardy angel, arguably the fastest around, and I wouldn't go past a hardy mach2, very responsive and goes out as straight as a knitting needle, the large front taper will increase distance, provided you concentrate on tight loop formation to maintain line speed, you will get distance with any line though, the distance lines only improve on it really

The Carbon Fibre material used in the Angel is likely the most advanced (mitsubishi)...however,and I own 4 angel rods, these rods are truely designed for advanced casters or those aspireing to become that. The Redington rod is only labeled as Fast Action aimed at a much large market of the casting public, there is no comparison with the the Angel,like a Lada to a Lexus! Now the Hardy Mach 2 Lines and indeed very nice, the head is much longer than their predecesor the Mach 1 Trout. A 60' head is bang on for teh Angel,and a bit much for the Redington ...the Mach 1 would suit the REd' rod much better. The Loop OptiStream line is another good match that produces great loops and efficient distance..

And it's not always about Distance

I have the loop opti stillwater and its a nice line...... mine is a floating however. But I would imagine that the same line in a intermediate would be just as good...... That said I like a longer head because on the longer casts I find you get a bit better line control and better sensitivity.

This will likely be my next stillwater line

SA stillwater Invisible Sub-Surface Fly Line

both links are the same line but the one has the taper info. I haven't tried this line but for a slow sunk intermediate it should be good..... relatively long head so you should have great sensitivity up to 38-56 feet depending on what weight of line and rod...... Thats also before adding a leader. Should also pick up easier at distance if you need to quickly pick up from a long ways out and drop a cast on a cruiser.......

http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRetrieval...version=current

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_U...waterInvisible/

The Carbon Fibre material used in the Angel is likely the most advanced (mitsubishi)...however,and I own 4 angel rods, these rods are truely designed for advanced casters or those aspireing to become that. The Redington rod is only labeled as Fast Action aimed at a much large market of the casting public, there is no comparison with the the Angel,like a Lada to a Lexus! Now the Hardy Mach 2 Lines and indeed very nice, the head is much longer than their predecesor the Mach 1 Trout. A 60' head is bang on for teh Angel,and a bit much for the Redington ...the Mach 1 would suit the REd' rod much better. The Loop OptiStream line is another good match that produces great loops and efficient distance..

And it's not always about Distance

Completely agree, I sometimes loose sight now and again of the facts, and you are perfectly right, not everything is about distance, I should maybe of said that you must firstly get used to the action of the rod, it being a fast action, I know when i first tried out the new Angel TE I had difficulty getting used to the ultra fast action, it was very unforgiving, a little either way and you lost it on the forward cast, or put the haul in a little to quick or to slow and plop! same again, but once you got it right it was a dream, but I couldn't get away with the colour, "silver" yuk! but everyone who starts using a fast tip rod for the first time would be better concentrating on getting the loop formation right and forget about distance, a straight line is better, distance will come with practice and patience, and islandguy is correct you may only use a distance cast maybe one in ten as fish are normally just in front of you maybe 15 or 20 yards at most, get a line out consistantly staight at 15 to 20 yards and you'll catch your fair share of fish

I do not have the TE ,only cast the proto type several times at shows. Was in Alnwick Jan 2007 ,too early to fish any. Fast action rods seem to be completely mis-understood by most casters and I might add rod designers! There has to be a balance between wall thickness,composite and mandrel taper to achieve a desired quality casting tool. Several years ago,now discontinued,Lamiglas designed a few very fast action rods that were truely fast action;but dogs to cast and fish. Snowbee's XS-Pro is also very fast ,as a market grabber too few can handle these rods. The XS-Pro is even tri-modulous to compensate for such dynamic speed and feel, by compensateing the action.

Tight lines and have a great season

C

I suppose I'm lucky really, I only live about 3 miles from the Hardy factory in Alnwick and I'm in there every week at some point so know most of the staff and fish with best part of them, so when new equipment comes along I get to see it and use it before most other folk, like there new demon reel, a spectacular piece of kit, very well designed, and extremely functional, but as a cassette reel far too expensive, I would rather pay for three mid priced reels ,say the sirrus, or gem, and spool them up with three lines, a better proposition to me, designers I think must first look at what will bring in profit for the company, long before they think of what is the best tool for the job, so they sometimes get a bit carried away, my old fibre glass patek morton is slow and heavy compared to the new generation of rods, but it is light compared to the split cane I started with, times change and we change, i still use both my old split cane , and the patek morton every now and again, because I like a bit of nostalgia in my life, and it does open eyes when folk see me with them, so much so sometimes you can't get a line out for folk asking questions, but it's a pleasure to fish with older kit, it's more tactile, and in my humble opinion it has fish-ability

I suppose I'm lucky really, I only live about 3 miles from the Hardy factory in Alnwick and I'm in there every week at some point so know most of the staff and fish with best part of them, so when new equipment comes along I get to see it and use it before most other folk, like there new demon reel, a spectacular piece of kit, very well designed, and extremely functional, but as a cassette reel far too expensive, I would rather pay for three mid priced reels ,say the sirrus, or gem, and spool them up with three lines, a better proposition to me, designers I think must first look at what will bring in profit for the company, long before they think of what is the best tool for the job, so they sometimes get a bit carried away, my old fibre glass patek morton is slow and heavy compared to the new generation of rods, but it is light compared to the split cane I started with, times change and we change, i still use both my old split cane , and the patek morton every now and again, because I like a bit of nostalgia in my life, and it does open eyes when folk see me with them, so much so sometimes you can't get a line out for folk asking questions, but it's a pleasure to fish with older kit, it's more tactile, and in my humble opinion it has fish-ability

Yes you are fortunate indeed,and I concur with you about the changes. It was a sad indeed when Andy left? ...a changeing of the guard!...yet he knew it was coming and posponed the enevitable. Korea,History,lineage,tradition,and so much more is part of our everyday experience these days...yet memory fulfills the day. I sold an 8' 4 wt.rod yesterday to a fellow that wanted an 8'ish 4 wt. rod for small stream fishing...and a 2 piece rod at that...it brought back so many memories to me and the beauty of fishing such light tackle...I yearn at times for the Small Stream adventures of my youth...hooking into that monster 12 " trout that has eluded me for the past season...only to lose it at my feet!...2 lb. tippet is too light I would grumble! Yet keep fishing because I knew it worked and the challenge was indeed the high light of the adventure.

I too have seen the Demon and find it over the top....Snowbee has this year brought out a version of their XSD(die Cast) cassett reels in a new 4/6 and an 1112 Spey to compliment their 780..absolutely the cats ass in cassett reels...the drag discs are broflon,not rulon(???and)...approx 80 GBP or $160 cdn...tested here in both Salt and Fresh water..impeccable...have my clients use it...totally dependable on all fish from 1 -40 lbs. I don't see the need for a 4wt reel to have a drag that will stop a truck, but the old saying" if it ain't broke;don't fix it" applies here.

I recently acquired a Sharpes Scottie 5wt Cane rod that was never used...my new small stream rod....need a reel that will suit it though. I have an old Farlow but it feels tooooo heavy

C

Islandguy, you're a man after my own heart, tradition is everything in fishing, I've recently became a member of a local fishing syndicate, very exclusive, but it keeps the tradition of flyfishing alive, no bonny coloured lures, and nothing bigger than a size10 hook, dries, wets and nymphs are the order of the day, turkeys are only good for eating in this syndicate, and I think you're very lucky to now own a new sharpe's cane rod, I would try to get hold of an old Bouglé, or Cascapedia, it would set the split cane off a treat, and there's no sound on earth that beats the sound of line being run off a Bouglé when you've hooked a 2 or 3 lb sea trout

Tightlines my man, and many days of fine fishing to you

John

Islandguy, you're a man after my own heart, tradition is everything in fishing, I've recently became a member of a local fishing syndicate, very exclusive, but it keeps the tradition of flyfishing alive, no bonny coloured lures, and nothing bigger than a size10 hook, dries, wets and nymphs are the order of the day, turkeys are only good for eating in this syndicate, and I think you're very lucky to now own a new sharpe's cane rod, I would try to get hold of an old Bouglé, or Cascapedia, it would set the split cane off a treat, and there's no sound on earth that beats the sound of line being run off a Bouglé when you've hooked a 2 or 3 lb sea trout

Tightlines my man, and many days of fine fishing to you

John

My Wife has an older Hardy Featherweight...will see if I can "borrow"...but she's a Cockney...sharp as a whip!

C