Fly Fusion Forums

Czech Nymph Rods

For anyone who didn't see my query in the trading post I am looking for info on czech nymphing rods..... Any good suggestions or comments will be appreciated as I am looking for a rod whos primary function will be for this type of fishing.

I am most interested however in the action one might want from such a rod..... Stiff and fast, soft and slow, sensitive whatever you think might be relevant...... I am also looking primarily for a 10 foot 3 or 4 wt in particular..... obviously this narrows down the options a lot. I have read articles that seem to contradict each other in regards to the best actions and stuff so I figured that the local perspective I might get on here might be the most useful.....

Thank in advance

Max and JohnBransfield, great reccomendations, Thank you. But do either of those companies have a North American warranty repair location? I can't seem to find anything.... that I feel is a concern. A Canada location would be preferable but a N A acceptable..... Do you know if I would have to send those rods overseas for repairs? I checked em both out and they look like killer rods tho. Specially that loop...... They also have the Greys in a 3wt 10" model on the website..... that would be killer......

Cheeler- as far as the switch rod I am just not a switch rod kinda guy..... It seems to be a good option for a rod that you want some extra distance out of...... but I feel all that extra cork gets in my way and adds weight. With the czech nymphing positioning and my bad right shoulder I think the lightest weight will be best.

Loop warranty is handled through their Canadian distributors, Fly Angler Distributing Inc., in the Vancouver area.

The 11' 3wt or 4wt. Loop OptiPeak, are incredible sticks capable of landing Salmon.

Interestingly enough,I actually fished the Loop 11' 4wt. Grey series rod yesterday as a converted Small Switch/Spey... useing the 5/6 Elixir line...it was a blast casting such a small weight rod...and the line match was bang on for its needs. However,not really a nymphing rod as we know it. Snowbee has been competeing at the world stage for many years and has the nymphing needs dialed in like no other. The Greys Streamflex rod is also another nice rod, I had several in the past 2 years. In 2008 SNowbee is bringing out 2 new series of Nymphing rods in a very light fast action and One less fast. Currently the have the ZR2 series that has hit the Ontario Market with a rage.

Max and JohnBransfield, great reccomendations, Thank you. But do either of those companies have a North American warranty repair location? I can't seem to find anything.... that I feel is a concern. A Canada location would be preferable but a N A acceptable..... Do you know if I would have to send those rods overseas for repairs? I checked em both out and they look like killer rods tho. Specially that loop...... They also have the Greys in a 3wt 10" model on the website..... that would be killer......

Cheeler- as far as the switch rod I am just not a switch rod kinda guy..... It seems to be a good option for a rod that you want some extra distance out of...... but I feel all that extra cork gets in my way and adds weight. With the czech nymphing positioning and my bad right shoulder I think the lightest weight will be best.

Lonerfisher,

If you have a bad shouder (I dislocate my on a average of 2 or 3 times a day, ask my friends they have seen it) I found the longer one hander to cause more pain and discomforte. When I went to my spey and started doing underhand casts and using both hands alot of my pain went away.

With a 11 1.2 two hander you are still able to hide in the bushes and cast along the river side while hunting those broonies, or cast out distance when the fish don't want to come in and the beauty part to it all s, you don't have to get into the water, which aplifies the sound of you walking and alerts all the fishies out there that you are on your way.

This fall I watch toolman use one of his 12 1/2 on the Crow and it worked great, with the added reach and more line out on the water I find the smaller trout still fight great, its only when you get them into you close that the fight seems to die down.

But if you want a great 10 footer and worried about getting it back quickly after repairs, TFO has a 10 foot 6 weight which I used for my first year fly fishing and loved it, I soon bought a 7 weigt and found that it was heavy for over head casting as it required me to use more of my arm and shoulder for casting. I haven't used a loop 10 footer but the opti series looks absoultly aswome.

My sugestion would be to see what shops have some demo's in the 10 foot range and go give them a try, and pick the one that gives u the best enjoyment to the type of action and fishig you want to do.

For a CN rod I would go for a 10 feet 3/4 weight just as you already mentioned. The action should be fast and powerfull.

Fast action rod will be more able to pull the heavy nymphs from the bottom at the end of the swing.

Remember that with CN you don't cast.

So I would advice the Z-Axis 4100-4.

Bhurt thank you for the suggestions but I suppose I should maybe have been a little more complete. I have a 13' 4" trout spey 5/6 and its a great rod and yes casting it is usually quite nice..... But its not usually the casting that gives my shoulder a problem. Its the fully extended arm holding the rod parallel with the water like when you czech nymph. I have a broken collar bone so rather then lack of strength or pain when casting I just get fatigued in that position a little faster when I am holding it..... I should actually learn to nymph with my left now that I think about it...... But anyways I also have a nice streamdance 10 foot 6 wt GLoomis and I love that rod but it is definately a powerful rod and it lands fish really really fast too fast in fact. Also I think its at the upper end of the stiffness and line weight reccomedation for this type of fishing which is why I wanted to drop down to the bottom ie 3 or maybe 4 wt.

The Loop that Max and TM have suggested looks great and I have looked into it a bit now....... But I only have 1 concern and yes its a dumb one....... It seems like to much rod....... By all accounts its a freak of nature casts a 3 wt line but will land salmon....... I want one........ Big Time...... But I mean part of the reason I am shopping in a low wt is because it will be more sporting..... That Loop seems kinda like buying a cannon hiding it in a water pistol and using it on a squirrel...... A little bit overkill.....But that said I want one cause it sounds like a monster.

The top of my list at the moment if I decide to buy from a manufacturer are likely the greys or the snowbee or the sage..... both come in cheaper and seem to be designed more for this specific task. However the greys would be the top of the list as it comes in at the lightest weight and seems to me to be the best option but a readover of their extensive warranty info has me worried as it says that I would need to send the rod to the nearest Hardy & Greys Limited approved Agent..... however they have only one dealer listed on their site for Canada...... But as long as he could process the warranty concerns that would be fine..... Basically the same with the snowbee and I am just curious if Courtney (Islandguy) can tell me how warrantee's work in canada as the snowbee site doesn't say much in that regards.

LOL was just about to post and it didn't work so I got to read DDF's post. Is it generally accepted that fast and powerful is key? Cause I have read conflicting things about that...... but myself I would tend to think fast and powerful would be best..... however some CN sites say that sofer is better so you don't get to many breakoffs on the hookset...... is this worth worrying about

Again thanks for all the help everyone

I do not understand the need for softer rods, as you are not fishing for finicky trout when CN.

When fishing CN I use no leader just one piece of mono (Stroft ABR 9.4 lb) and attach two dropperlines to that (Stroft ABR 8 lb)

I have had very little violent takes, due to the fact the fly is going at the fish instead the other way around.

Rob

Cool thanks for all the info guys I am going to look more at the custom Dancraft FT Rod 10ft 3 wt Sounds like a perfect fit..... Luckily we have a builder on the site that by the sounds of it can make me one with a couple little design features I want ;) by the way CDone how are you making out with that rocket propelled fish seeking missile cork attachment I was asking about? Can I have a thermonuclear option? Or do I have to live South of the border for that?

Cool thanks for all the info guys I am going to look more at the custom Dancraft FT Rod 10ft 3 wt Sounds like a perfect fit..... Luckily we have a builder on the site that by the sounds of it can make me one with a couple little design features I want ;) by the way CDone how are you making out with that rocket propelled fish seeking missile cork attachment I was asking about? Can I have a thermonuclear option? Or do I have to live South of the border for that?

Guess you're not interested in the EMP function?

Right now in Warshington DC theres some techno FBI weenie having a cow over this thread. :lol:

Colin

p.s. hope t have that quote to you by Thursday, just waiting on some pricing.

Bhurt thank you for the suggestions but I suppose I should maybe have been a little more complete. I have a 13' 4" trout spey 5/6 and its a great rod and yes casting it is usually quite nice..... But its not usually the casting that gives my shoulder a problem. Its the fully extended arm holding the rod parallel with the water like when you czech nymph. I have a broken collar bone so rather then lack of strength or pain when casting I just get fatigued in that position a little faster when I am holding it..... I should actually learn to nymph with my left now that I think about it...... But anyways I also have a nice streamdance 10 foot 6 wt GLoomis and I love that rod but it is definately a powerful rod and it lands fish really really fast too fast in fact. Also I think its at the upper end of the stiffness and line weight reccomedation for this type of fishing which is why I wanted to drop down to the bottom ie 3 or maybe 4 wt.

The Loop that Max and TM have suggested looks great and I have looked into it a bit now....... But I only have 1 concern and yes its a dumb one....... It seems like to much rod....... By all accounts its a freak of nature casts a 3 wt line but will land salmon....... I want one........ Big Time...... But I mean part of the reason I am shopping in a low wt is because it will be more sporting..... That Loop seems kinda like buying a cannon hiding it in a water pistol and using it on a squirrel...... A little bit overkill.....But that said I want one cause it sounds like a monster.

The top of my list at the moment if I decide to buy from a manufacturer are likely the greys or the snowbee or the sage..... both come in cheaper and seem to be designed more for this specific task. However the greys would be the top of the list as it comes in at the lightest weight and seems to me to be the best option but a readover of their extensive warranty info has me worried as it says that I would need to send the rod to the nearest Hardy & Greys Limited approved Agent..... however they have only one dealer listed on their site for Canada...... But as long as he could process the warranty concerns that would be fine..... Basically the same with the snowbee and I am just curious if Courtney (Islandguy) can tell me how warrantee's work in canada as the snowbee site doesn't say much in that regards.

LOL was just about to post and it didn't work so I got to read DDF's post. Is it generally accepted that fast and powerful is key? Cause I have read conflicting things about that...... but myself I would tend to think fast and powerful would be best..... however some CN sites say that sofer is better so you don't get to many breakoffs on the hookset...... is this worth worrying about

Again thanks for all the help everyone

I'm sure what ever choice you make will be correct...to answer your question about Snowbee Warranties...simple...Most rods are in Stock ,$35 Fee ,typically less that 2 weeks or faster.In 2007 there were 2 Snowbee rod warranty issues;only. we are the Canadian Distributor for Snowbee UK....we have an over the counter warranty policy..

I can tell you that the extensive warranty issues I have had with Hardy/Greys over the past 4 years has been pathetic at best and outrageous at normal. I have suggested to them that perhaps they could stop treating us as Colonials and get a life!

Colin the sad thing is you are likely right about the FBI thing bet someone watched me and my place from space most of the day yesterday.....

But anyways hold on the EMP I would have to walk to far from my car to safely use that anyways..... I was gonna call you tonight anyways as I checked your link and have a request and a question or 2. Thanks

Cool Courtney thats good to hear a company with a good warranty will always get my business before one with a crappy warranty....... My problem is I want to many rods...... But one for sure is gonna be a snowbee. I think I know which one as well. I Just wish I had casted it up at the expo....... But then we would have needed a bigger pool as it wasn't a short cast rod.......

OF all the rods I have used over the years I have to say Snowbee has met the challenge in every aspect...hopefully within the next few weeks we will have a dealer in the Calgary area to work with ...this is a good thing!! I was out today nymphing for Steelhead on the Little Qualicum River well up near the falls. Typically this river gets a Feb. run of fish,must have been early in this case. This is a very sweet river that has been closed for the past 9 years previous to 2007...after fishing it one can understand just how this river was once a great Steelhead River! Not even a Trout today...the point I will make is that I used the Beulah Elixir 5/6 Switch line on an 8/9 Switch rod(all I had with me)...very impressive indeed. Although the belly of the Line is too short to really call it a nymphing line,this water was quite fast and the 10' 6" rod performed impeccably!

I don't think we have really understood how effective and versatile the Elixir line concept really is.

C