Fly Fusion Forums

Need Advice On A Rod/reel Combo

Well, I just went down to Fishtales and test drove a few rods. I tried a Sage Z-axis, a Scott S3 and a G Loomis Streamdance GLX (4wt 8'6) and liked the G Loomis the best. Now to do a little research on the net and see what other people think. Any thoughts? I looked at a Ross CLA 1.5 reel as well.

I have spent lots of money over the past couple of years on rods and reels (both high, medium and lower end). Interestingly, the best smallish rod I have in my collection right now is the Temple Fork Series 1, 8 foot, 4 wt. I don't know what it is about that rod, but something about the blank and its being an 8 foot rod and its weighting make it simply the best casting rod I have ever owned. It costs about $125. The equivalent Z-Axis I have doesn't hold a candle to it in terms of performance (for me) (although it's much nicer and cooler).

Just try every rod you can get your hands on (try them with different weight lines too per Don's advice) and buy the one that performs best for you. Who cares what the net (or this board) says? My Z-axis is really cool and I bought it because everyone said it was cool (and I convinced myself it performed well because of that), but it and its case are a really nice decoration for the inside of my garage while I actually fish with my $125 TFO Series 1.

I have a TFO Series 1 8' 3Wt and it is great. I also have a Sage 9' 4 wt (Low end) which I bought on sale at Fishtales for $100 a few years ago, which works great for dry flies. I agree that just because it is expensive doesn't mean I can cast it. The z-axis just didn't perform for my casting stroke, so that confirms that either it is not suitable for me or I need a casting lesson. Probably the latter (tailing loops)! The G Loomis seemed to cast better for me. I guess after it is all said and done it's all personal choice. I do appreciate all of the opinions I have received on this thread and will definitely consider them all when I make my final decision.

• 1 month later...

I'd have to say Sage Z-Axis 490 with a Sage 2540 reel. I love mine, ive caught 26" browns and bows with it on the Bow, fishing drys and nymph rigs, and Ive caught 16"+ browns with it on Stauffer Creek fishing tiny drys, nymph rigs, and streamers. Not least of which is Sages replacement service rocks!! I broke my XP 586 last fall and they had a new tip to me in 8 days.

If this is your first rod, you may want to consider a 6 weight version of this combo as it probably will allow you to fish a wider variety of locations and conditions.

Once you become infected with the fly-fishing disease though, you will want to have specific rods and reels for every occasion, and fly boxes, and boats, and 4X4's, and GPS, and pack trains, and guides, and.....................

Guest bigbadbrent

Borons are a wierd rod, they call them fast, but i hardly call them fast rods

Try the new scott S4 out, you played with an S3, and that was their old one..i think the S4 is definitly the one vying for my money with the Z-axis...already got my z-axis on the way though!

I still think you have the best idea though, just try rods out!

The evolutions are awesome, they're the same as the CLA, but way lighter with all that CnCing (and wayyy prettier), and with just as good tolerances

Just bought the 5wt TFO Axiom yesterday. Spent the day on the bow with it and loved it. Its a fast action rod which forces me to work on my technique. By the end of the day I was casting a good 20 feet of line more then with my old cheap TFO...that doesn't probably say much about my casting! The rod responds unbelievably to doube hauling and shoots line really fast. Bought it at Russell Sports...10% off all rods right now!

To make it even sweater I had the best day i have ever had on the bow...9 fish - 7 to hand - 5 over 20" - biggest was a gorgous 22" brown. I thought no one that has fished with me would believe it so I have pics of a 4 of the fish over 20". I'll try posting when I get my pics loaded.

mkm

I'm not sure I really fit into this discussion. I believe the rod should be fitted to the type of fishing you're doing and the fish you're fishing for. I actually am a little reluctant to list my rods here for fear that my wife might venture in and read this. However, here goes ...

1 - 9' 6 wt Echo

1 - 9' 7 wt Echo

1 - 8'6" 5 wt Sage

2 - 9' 7 wt Temple Forks

1 - 10' 10wt Echo

1 - 10' 12 wt Echo

1 - 8' 3wt Loomis

2 - 9' custom rods - one 4 wt from Loomis blanks the other a 6 wt from Sage blanks

1 - 9' Hardy Bamboo - retired and in a show case on the wall

I personally prefer the Echo rods although my second choice would be the TFs. Each rod has a different feel and different attributes that dictate which rod I'll use in any given circumstance. Having said that, I didn't even take either of the Sage rods out of their case last year.

I'm currently on a kick with the Echo Denmark reel. I've used a number over the years but I'm really pleased with this reel for the time being.

" I do most of my fishing on the Upper Oldman, Gap "

Donate $900 to Stream Watch and then go to Wal-Mart. ;)

I am planning on donating money to Stream watch and I have recruited a few others to do the same!! Will they let you test cast rods at Wall mart?

By the way, didn't you get a Winston Boron last year?

I'm not sure I really fit into this discussion. I believe the rod should be fitted to the type of fishing you're doing and the fish you're fishing for. I actually am a little reluctant to list my rods here for fear that my wife might venture in and read this. However, here goes ...

1 - 9' 6 wt Echo

1 - 9' 7 wt Echo

1 - 8'6" 5 wt Sage

2 - 9' 7 wt Temple Forks

1 - 10' 10wt Echo

1 - 10' 12 wt Echo

1 - 8' 3wt Loomis

2 - 9' custom rods - one 4 wt from Loomis blanks the other a 6 wt from Sage blanks

1 - 9' Hardy Bamboo - retired and in a show case on the wall

I personally prefer the Echo rods although my second choice would be the TFs. Each rod has a different feel and different attributes that dictate which rod I'll use in any given circumstance. Having said that, I didn't even take either of the Sage rods out of their case last year.

I'm currently on a kick with the Echo Denmark reel. I've used a number over the years but I'm really pleased with this reel for the time being.

Hell if you don't fit in this bunch none of the rest us would .... BTW i like your pseudonym :lol:

Guest bigbadbrent

Last one to bug you with,

Take a look at a the new Sage ZXL, played with one today, and i'm really impressed...you probably will be too if you liked the g-loomis..Slower then the z-axis, so it should suit your casting style

• 3 weeks later...

After much discussion, field testing and research I have decided on...

G Loomis Streamdance GLX 5 wt 9' 4 pce

Ross Evolution #2 Reel

Sharkskin WF 5wt line

I received a discount on this purchase so I will donate the $200 savings to the Oldman Streamwatch.

Thanks to all for your input and I will let you all know how things work out.

After much discussion, field testing and research I have decided on...

G Loomis Streamdance GLX 5 wt 9' 4 pce

Ross Evolution #2 Reel

Sharkskin WF 5wt line

I received a discount on this purchase so I will donate the $200 savings to the Oldman Streamwatch.

Thanks to all for your input and I will let you all know how things work out.

Hope you enjoy your new toy & the good karma that your donation brings to it, Mr. B!

Awesome way to 'pay it forward'... :):)