Fly Fusion Forums

Silicone On Rod Guides

ÜberFly

In ski racing, we used a trick to keep the snow from melting and freezing on our bindings - we would spray silicone between the toe and heel parts of the bindings. Does anyone think this would work for rod guides?! Would it harm the rod &/or line at all?!

Peter

I went over this with a couple of retailers who told me they get damaged lines back every year, because folks use a silicone base spray on them. Apparently not all silicone treatments are meant for lines and will dry and crack the finish. I had not had that experience, but to be on the safe side I have used the treatment pads that Cortland and others sell.

I'm pretty sure most of the pastes are silicone based, but I'd say stick with something like Loon's ice off paste that you know won't damage your line. If you're using an ice off paste or not, it's always good to clean your line. The less dirt and debris that's on your line, the easier it will shed the water instead of collecting it.

I'm pretty sure most of the pastes are silicone based, but I'd say stick with something like Loon's ice off paste that you know won't damage your line. If you're using an ice off paste or not, it's always good to clean your line. The less dirt and debris that's on your line, the easier it will shed the water instead of collecting it.

Just to clarify, you would spray the silicone on the guides without the line, so the water/ice wouldn't stick to the guides (in theory, anyway).

P

Just to clarify, you would spray the silicone on the guides without the line, so the water/ice wouldn't stick to the guides (in theory, anyway).

P

Loon's Stanley Ice Off product is actually a paste, so you gently smear it on to the guides. I un-string the rod and use a soft rag, to apply it to the guides. I then pull out all my fly line, apply a little more paste to the rag, and run the line through the rag and the paste as I reel in the line under light pressure. This cleans your line, and coats it with the paste. I've done it this way for awhile, and haven't noticed any negative affects to the line, guides, or the rod finish.