Fly Fusion Forums

Dawsons Olive, Variant

Fishietales

This is a popular fly this time of the year in the UK, in fact it's another anytime fly, this is my version of it, it's slightly different to the original, by the inclusion of seed bead eyes and the omitting of the blue beard hackle

Hook: #12 wet

Thread: Olive UNI

Tail: Olive marabou over orange marabou

Body: Bright orange seals fur dubbing over fine lead wire

Wing: Olive marabou

dawsonsvariant.jpg

009-1.jpg

This is another variant using orange glister as the dubbing

that would be fantastic in spring stillwaters over here. pike would take it for sure

I normally tie them as small as 16 for the stillwaters over here, but for the larger stillwaters an 8, 6, or 4, would not look out of place,

you should give them a go they'revery easy to tie, I'll try and post a SBS for you

As promised an SBS mind please excuse the photography, it's not the best in the world,

First start by tying the eyes in place, then run the thread to the hook bend, wind on some fine lead wire,

007-1.jpg

Next take a pinch of olive marabou over a pinch of orange marabou and tie in as a tail,

008.jpg

Next dub on either orange seals fur, or orange glister and wind up to the eyes, lastly tie in a pinch of olive marabou as a wing give a couple of extra turn to secure the marabou then take the thread and whip finish in front of the eyes

009-1.jpg