Fly Fusion Forums

Goddard Caddis

sirocco

Hi guys/gals,

Here's my first attempt at a Goddard Caddis (sans hackle tips... so I suppose it's a variant). This was also my second attempt at spinning hair. I'm looking for a critique on the fly (advice on the spinning is definitely appreciated), and I have a couple questions as well:

- To remove underfur, so far I've just been using a bodkin + my fingers but as the photo shows, I'm not getting all of it. Is there a cheap way to get it out or should I just buy one of those brushes from the fly shop?

- I used Elk Hair for the spinning and I'm wondering if it's hollow like deer and caribou hair. If not, I should get some hollow stuff... right?

Thanks to DrBullTrout for the awesome tutorial!

post-251-1200450337.jpg

Looking pretty good...nice job...after clipping some hair run a comb through it, that will take out the body fur...any cheep comb will do.

Go to the drug store and pick up a comb they use to remove lice from a kids hair. I think its called a Nit comb. Very fine teeth and cheap cheap (under $2). A mustache comb works too, but a nit comb is much finer.

nice tie...it'll definitely work...elk hair has buoyancy similar to deer hair so it'll be fine...as for under fur, i hold the clipped hair by the tips and flick out the shorter stuff and then pull the fur out...takes a bit of practice as all new things do but you will get the hang of it soon enough...keep up the good ties...:)

Guest bigbadbrent

elk hair is fine, but doesn't spin as easily as deer or caribou.

It's all about compressing and more compressing when you're spinning deer. take the tip out of a pen, that just fits over the hook eye, and when after you spin one clump, use that pen and push it back, with ur thumb at the other end so it doesn't fall off the hook. Do this after every clump, and you'll find its suddenly a cork, and not so spread out (also makes it look, AND makes shaping way easier).

With a goddard, you also can start you're thread right at the back, and spin on a blank shaft, which really does make a difference in spinning-ease

Other then that, you're good. Take the hook out of the vise if you're having problems getting to the bottom side of the body. I like making the bottom nice and flat, just so it sits perfect on the water