Fly Fusion Forums

Rod Repair

Can anyone recommend some where or someone that does (reasonable) rod repairs?! The rod I have isn't an expensive one and I would prefer to repair it rather then trash it, so that my girlfriend or nephew can then use it. It is a two piece and the female end that the ferrule fits into has loosened up (no jokes please ;-) so the rod comes apart 2 -3 times throughout a given day on the water... Or if someone has a reco on how to repair it myself, I would also appreciate that (epoxy, zap a gap, etc. to thicken up the ferrule end doesn't seem to work).

Thanks in advance!

Peter

You could try just using black electrical tape to hold it in place (like on Spey rods), or get ahold of CDone - he does repairs I believe.

Glenbow, Thanks for your input, yes I have even done the electrical tape repair, but was hoping for something more permanent and less cheesy (no insult intended to those who use the electrical tape repair ;-)

P

You could try putting some wax on the male end. If it isn't too loose that would probably help. But if the problem is that the sleeve has loosened this would probably just be a stopgap, since the sleeve would just loosen some more over time. Like Glenbow said, you should probably talk to one of the rod builders on the forum like Colin (CDone).

Is the female end cracked at all? If not you might be able to cut the male end a little to allow the female part to fit over better/deeper. (why do I all of a sudden feel so dirty?). If it is a cracked ferrule and depending on how bad a crack, you will probably need a re-wrap/finish of the area to strengthen it up again. If you want me to take a look at it drop me a PM.

Colin

Is the female end cracked at all? If not you might be able to cut the male end a little to allow the female part to fit over better/deeper. (why do I all of a sudden feel so dirty?). If it is a cracked ferrule and depending on how bad a crack, you will probably need a re-wrap/finish of the area to strengthen it up again. If you want me to take a look at it drop me a PM.

Colin

Hi Colin,

Yes female end is cracked - does that mean it's pooched?!

P

Hi Colin,

Yes female end is cracked - does that mean it's pooched?!

P

You could do a repair, but there's no real guarantee of how long it will last.

It would be fairly easy to remove the old epoxy and thread from the ferrule wrap and re-wrap it, how long of a crack is it? Any repair would have to stop it from moving anymore.

Colin

You could do a repair, but there's no real guarantee of how long it will last.

It would be fairly easy to remove the old epoxy and thread from the ferrule wrap and re-wrap it, how long of a crack is it? Any repair would have to stop it from moving anymore.

Colin

Hi Colin, thanks for the info... The crack is probably a cm or so. It would definitely need to be rewrapped as the original epoxy is what has flaked off and initiated it loosening up. Would you be interested in that task?! If so, how much would cost? ( $ or beer/wine/scotch, etc ;-)

Cheers!

P