Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing Department Now At Wal-mart?

Like I said, to each their own...

I should have been smarter and taken fisher26's stand and not get into it.

The merchandise issue is one of the smaller reasons I don't/won't shop at Wal-Mart. The "cheapness" is a good enough reason, but the moral, rights in the work place and the human factor, among many other things are why I don't shop there.

I fully understand why people shop there, and Wal-Mart definitely knows why and they play on it. That is why they are the "Biggest".

I will add to something I said before though....Are you really saving money by buying something for less money, when you end up buying it three times because it doesn't hold up. My example is socks. I buy my socks at Costco and they last forever thru hard wear. My wife decided to pick up a 12 pack of socks at Wal-Mart because she couldn't pass up the deal. I think I got three washes/wears out of the Wal-mart socks and they were done, so if I was to depend on Wal-Mart for my socks, I would end up spending a lot more in the end....Brilliant marketing strategy if you ask me.

As far as the "Brand" name debate goes, it comes down to what the person selling the product is willing to offer as a warranty. Thus the "In store extended warranty" scams. They offer these on products that they are confident they won't often have to do any work on, so they do their best to sell products that won't have as many warranty issues. ie-the higher end models of selected brands.

The manufacturers warranty is a totally different issue.

Like I said, I should have stayed out of this one, (especially because the person that started it was just letting us know about something they found in their travels....sorry).

I could liturally go on for days and days on why I don't shop at Wal-Mart, but to each their own in the end.

I'm going to stay away from this thread from here on and I apologize for hi-jacking it and taking it off track.

I'd rather talk about how much the Oilers suck anyways ;)

I'm going to stay away from this thread from here on and I apologize for hi-jacking it and taking it off track.

Hey no prob lots of good clean discussion here. BTW I only have two beers left from my $16 24box of coors light I bought in that Wal-Mart. With the money I saved I think I'm going to buy a bunch of stuff at the Expo this weekend and support our local shops :rolleyes:

Hey Brett,

Hope you're not worried about hurting my feelings on this, cuz you ain't! I'm certainly not trying to hurt yours.

Like any type of bargain shopping, you have to pay attention to what it is you are buying. My wife bought the kids ski suits at Costco. My 14 yr old tore it to pieces in 3 snow board trips. Piece of crap, great price. I bought socks at Walmart last year. I'm wearing them right now. (that's actually true).

So enough of Wal-Mart------

Pick a chinook and get down here. Let's catch some fish.

No hard feelings at all.

Like I said, pricing and cheap merchandise is way down the list of reasons I don't shop at Wal-Mart, so even after side tracking the thread, I actually got side tracked on my message. This isn't the place for it anyways I guess.

I will only say one thing that sort of explains my stand. Bill Gates alone donates close to 40% of his income to Charity, where the Walton family as a whole donates less than 1%.

Oops, there I go again.

You're on for the next Chinook I am available. I will do my best to make it down for a fish. The good news for now is that I am writing this from Fort McMurray and not some distant place overseas....It's good to be closer to home.