Fly Fusion Forums

Float Tube

I'm looking for a float tube, and the only option I have locally is a cheap-o Gunnision at the crapy tire. So I'm looking for some good advise before I mail order one of these things. No real budget just looking for something to do the job well and not break the bank.

Thanks in advance

Try posting in the trading section on this forum. I picked up a reasonable one for $70. Plus I have seen them at "sale" prices at some of the larger sporting goods places in Calgary, ie Russells and Wholesale. If you are going the mail order route, Cabela has the basic round tube for $65 plus $18 for shipping.

I would stay away from the round tube if I was buying one now. Get a 'toon-type or U-shaped tube that

has an elevated seat. These move through the water better( only your feet in the water, as opposed to

from the waist down; plus, the shape doesn't push as much water); you also stay warmer when your

balls are not in the water on those early spring/late fall days- even with neoprenes on, you can get a

chill after a few hours. The price of these types of tubes have dropped a lot the last coupla years.

Don't know much about brand names; if your planning to pack it in on some hikes, definitely compare

weights on different models. One more important thing- the raised seat makes casting a helluva lot

easier.

Just my 2 cents...

Steve