Fly Fusion Forums

Winter Midge Patterns

bulltrout

good tie albanna...what'd you use for the body and rib on that shuttlecock midge?

DBT, this -

Hook - Kamasan B100 size 12 or 14 (see note)

Thread - Black UTC

Body - strip cut from electrostatic envelope / bag

Breathers - split natural CDC puff

- if you click on the here on the photo post you will get the SBS for each of them.

and who says tyers aren't innovative eh?...cool idea...:)

DBT,

the first of these I did with black thread but if you use red, orange or yellow, you will get some translucency with the film and get the indication of a different coloured abdomen. Getting the rib is the tricky part, trying to keep it even as you wind on the ES film.

Another favourite buzzer from similar materials across here is the Videotape buzzer - scotfly has an SBS on this in our forum in the Step by Step section UK Fly Dressers

This pattern works very well in Britain. It is actually an Irish pattern that I managed to erm..........liberate!!! from a good pal. He tells me that he in turn liberated it from an Irishman who acted as a guide for him on Loch Corrib.

DryBuzzer1.jpg

I know what you are all thinking, it is totally the wrong colour, well actually no because when you add water

WetBuzzer3.jpg

The jungle cock cheek is representative of blood that becomes visible at the 'head end' of the pupa. I think it forms an interesting contrast against the dark red blood colour that the dubbing turns when wet. I hope that some of this proves at least a bit worthwhile to some of you. :)