Fly Fusion Forums

My Most Memorable Trip Of 2008?

For the past several years, I have taken a saltwater trip with a bunch of friends. We usually fish for 3 or 4 days, and it is always a blast, regardless of how good the fishing is. The trip takes place in May, and the planning begins in Jan.

So while this may seem a bit early to ask this question, I need to decide which trip I plan to take, my yearly Texas trip, or...

I am thinking of organizing a trip to fish the FTR from Grande Prairie to as far down as we can get in 1 week. My only requirement is to fish the Little Smoky for Grayling (I actually caught my first flowing water fish on the Smoky, a small pike) and the Kakwa (I caught my first cuttie there back when I lived in GP before I took up fly fishing). My plan is to take my tent trailer and 2 or 3 others for the trailer. Does anyone have a feel for how many is too many? I thought that since there is tons of accessible water, you could probably get away with 2 groups (up to 8 people) if you planned the trip correctly (2 vehicles, 4 per vehicle, fish in pairs upstream/downstream etc.)

Any ideas as to when would be best? I would like to do it as late as possible (once school starts) but could maybe do it as early as July. August is probably out.

So any suggestions as to when, logistics, number of people, etc. would be appreciated.

Guest bigbadbrent

mid september would be prime

As long as you had enough vehicles to let everyone kinda get away from each other, you'd be fine for water..8 people will take up quite a bit, especially on some of the smaller streams

I grew up north of GP. The fall can be amazing up there with the poplars changing colour in the valleys and the smell of the high bush cranberries filling the air. Don't leave it too late in the fall because the days get short sooner than you may want.

This link http://www3.gov.ab.ca/env/water/basins/BasinForm.cfm provides historical flow data.