Fly Fusion Forums

Mitre Saw...anyone Have One?

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Hi all.

I am in a bind. The wife wants me to redo the baseboards in our computer room/den and I do not have a saw. I could always use it as an excuse to buy a new tool but since I have never needed one before I figure why bother.

Does anyone have a mitre box/saw and know how to use it? I can swing buy for a little cutting maybe this Tuesday/Wednesday? I am in south Calgary.

I have to cut 7 pieces and a smidge of a small one. I figure I need to buy about 33 feet of baseboard over all. I have the stuff picked out from Home Depot and was just going to buy it tomorrow. I am guessing I should measure each piece from wall to wall and then cut them down.

If my only option is to buy one...any suggestions on good value for the money/usage?

Any suggestions.

Sincerely.

Carpentry Challenged.

if your only doing corners, and only need 45's, its only easy to make a simple box .. draw a 45 degree line on a piece of plywood and a piece of 2x4.. nail the 2x4 to the edge of the plywood lining up your lines .. cut the 2x4 on the line down to the plywood and you have a simple mitre ..

I have a 7 1/4 model, you are welcome to, it will do a maximum of 2 3/4 tall baseboard on the 45. My father in law had great intentions but its not big enough, but i use it when i can to make him feel good.

for a bottle of red wine or some beer, ill come by on Saturday and help you.

If you have a steady hand you can pretty much do anything with a skil saw. You'll be working strictly with 45 degree angles which is easy as long as you don't get the short and long points of your angles mixed up. Inside corners will be short matched to short and outside corners will be long matched to long. Unfortunately I live in Edmonton or I'd come by and give you some professional assistance. Don't worry about a mitre box, especially if you're able to find a mitre saw to use. Make sure the blade is sharp (preferably new or all the teeth are intacted and not chipped) or you'll end up with chunks missing from your wood.

James