Fly Fusion Forums

Crimson Woodcock

ladystrange

Try number 2. i just copied and pasted the recipe. I really wish they would learn to speak English in England.

Crimson Woodcock

Hook: 18 - 14.

Thread: Crimson silk.

Hackle: Well-marked red-brown feather from the marginal coverts of a woodcock.

Body: Crimson tying silk, floss silk or wool. A thorax or peacock herl or red fox fur produces an attractive fly.

The Crimson Woodcock may be regarded as a general river pattern and is particularly useful as an imitation of early stoneflies including the February red. (Seal’s fur used)

I had floss issues. just pretend the back end is nice and clean with no wandering floss strands.

crimsonwoodcock.jpg

The one thing that i did find out was that the hook commonly used is a partridge L3A. The Mustad 94840 is an equivalent.

LS,

when they are talking "floss" in these patterns, they don't mean floss as in floss today!

Pearsalls marketed a range of floss silk called Marabou which consists of two wrapped strands of 4 threads in each strand. This was usually split down to the single threads and then used to form the bodies.

DSCF0115.jpg

DSCF0114.jpg

This is my jealously guarded Pearsalls collection that I have had for more years than I can remember and almost threw out one time thinking that they were old fashioned! A couple of the colours I believe are no longer produced and are quite rare these days. The labels vary with the description of length - oldest have approx 1/2 dram, next comes 8 yards and finally 8 metres.

THose labelled "Gossamer" are silk threads

The small diameter spools at the front contain pure silk floss that is not stranded and can be a pure illegitimate offspring to work with as it catches any rags in my finger tips and gives a frayed look instead of a nice smooth finish.

For some reason the modern plastic spools just don't seem to contain the same quality of material as the wooden ones or is that just my nostalgia for old things showing through?

to work with as it catches any rags in my finger tips and gives a frayed look instead of a nice smooth finish.

Most of the classic salmon tyers use silk gloves to overcome this. I have enough trouble wrapping it with bare fingers, no chance with gloves on.

LS, for your 2nd go at a spider that is excellent. B)

my wonderful collection of 'floss' was handed down by a lady who spent a great deal of time and effort tying classic salmon flies and she also had a box full of probably non-traditional but still antique style of flies, mostly married wings. i know i do not have silk thread.

so my floss i guess isn't the same as i have not seen pearsalls here. all of the spools of floss have been re-thread on a blank plastic spool with no lables and they are all the same. 4 strands and each and each strand has 50 ish fine fibers and lay flat if twisted properly.

unfortunately that is close as i can get. except i have to clean up the back end.

i was more going for proportions because i cant duplicate the silk or floss