Fly Fusion Forums

New Spey Rod

bhurt

Well after beeing patient for a time, I finally got my first Spey Rod today.

Taking the opurtiunity I purchased a 6/7 11 1/2 Beulah Spey Rod with the matching Exilir line.

I found that I was still able to control my line at short distance (30 feet and closer) while at the same time bombing out the line 50 to 60 feet with no effort.

I used a 10 foot poly leader (Which I am thinking of cutting it down to about 6 feet) then from loop to loop I attached about another 6 feet of a taper leader to my first hook which was a a SJW then about a foot to a Hare's Ear, and another foot to a CJ.

Had a ton of hook ups today with a couple of whitties. Biggest trout I caught in the two hours I was out was a nice fat 18" Rainbow. Tottaly happy with this purchase as I was able to hit some seams that I have been wanting to hit but could not with my single hander. I also found that the 11 1/2 was not that much bigger then my old 10 footer and found it nice cause I did not have to worry about overhanging tree branches as much as I would have to with a bigger stick.

As my knoweldge and ability with the Spey Rod grows I am sure there will be other things I will come to enjoy with the rod but for right now I am absoultly loving the set-up, thank you Courtney for giving me the opurinity to purchase this set-up, am extremly happy with it so far and will recommended it to anyone intrested in purchasing a Spey Rod.

BTW Courtney, are you bringing any reels to the trade show for sale, right now I am using a Dan Baily LA3 reel which works great but I might be in the market for a higher quaility reel for around the 150 to 200 price range, anything you suggest?

Good to hear you're enjoying the new rod! I'm jealous, as my new switch is waiting for me at the depot when I get back from ice fishing in Fort St John. I did find on the Beulah website that the ideal total leader length is 1.5 times the rod length with the elixir lines, so experiment a bit.

Good to hear Bhurt, congrats. It is a fun new dimension to flyfishing and I cannot say enough good about it. I'm stoked you dig your new stick. For a really good reel for not too much $$ I'd highly recommend the Pfleuger Summit or Trion in the 9-10 size. Very afforddable and not expensive ($80-$120). I have both & love both. The Trion is a mid-arbor and the Summit is a large-arbor.