Fly Fusion Forums

Winging It

albannachxcuileag

Ladystrange sent me some Creamy White Glow in the Dark Mylar Motion material and I had a quick go with at this morning with no general direction of a tying as usual and came up with this quickie that makes me wonder more on the potential as a winging material.

I had just wrapped two strands up the shank and was about to cut them off and I thought about doubling them into a loop and then redoubling them again and again until I got this result.

Lacewing.jpg

With a little bit more body work it could make a good method of making Lace Wings quite easily instead of using a hackle method.

Lacewing-1.jpg

This took a couple of minutes but there is definitely something there, if only I can find it!

Lacewing02.jpg

Step 3 shows Sewinangler's addition to the fly. A pale green CDC would have been better but I can't find them, I do know I have them somewhere!

Legs are from split flexifloss.

Ideas in action folks! You saw it here first!

Opinions?

Hydropsyche

the eyes are made the same way as I use for the Headlamp Damsel then the spectrablend dubbing is brought up between them to give the Lacewing head look.

One of my better development ideas, - still needs a little bit of work on it yet before the good fishing weather. One thing though, I do not think it would have much longevity if catching fish as I am sure that the teeth will tear out the wing loops on missed takes.