Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Lines?

Stimmy

Well I decided to join the club, and picked up my first spey rod off ebay. I bought a Lamiglas CST 12 1/2', 6/7 wt, 6pc. Anyone have any experience with these rods? I am wondering what line would be a good match for a newbie spey caster to start with? I would prefer a multi-tip set-up.

Duncan

If you can wait for Islandguy to return from Prince George, he should be able to provide you with a couple options as I believe he has the same rod or at least a similar 6pc Lami (replaced 4 guides for him last spring).

Colin

That is a very nice little rod! I just sold the pre-runner to that rod to a serious Spey fisher...had too many in the closet,,,but not that rod...I have all 3 versions of that rod and definitely love them.!Not the greatest rods to fish 30lb fish with but anything under 20lbs. Tim(Rajeff) has some good lines for tha Lamiglas rods, Rio's 5/6/7 Windcutter is nice and Hardy Mach 1 or 2 lines(if you can get them ). Also,a great match for that rod will be the Beulah Elixir 6/7 spey...several of the fellows on this board have just received some of the Elixir lines ...see if you can cast it..you will be hooked!

C

PS..I'm on my sons computer in Prince George,here for the NewYear celebration...miss the Steelhead on the Island...

That is a very nice little rod! I just sold the pre-runner to that rod to a serious Spey fisher...had too many in the closet,,,but not that rod...I have all 3 versions of that rod and definitely love them.!Not the greatest rods to fish 30lb fish with but anything under 20lbs. Tim(Rajeff) has some good lines for tha Lamiglas rods, Rio's 5/6/7 Windcutter is nice and Hardy Mach 1 or 2 lines(if you can get them ). Also,a great match for that rod will be the Beulah Elixir 6/7 spey...several of the fellows on this board have just received some of the Elixir lines ...see if you can cast it..you will be hooked!

C

PS..I'm on my sons computer in Prince George,here for the NewYear celebration...miss the Steelhead on the Island...

I myself just got my Beulah 6/7 11.7 (Thanks Courtney, love the rod) and also got the matching Elixir Spey line and all I can say is I love the line and rod....

Even though this is my first spey rod, the line for my rod is aswome, turns over exteremly nice, and was able to cast a SJW, HAre's Ear and CJ 50 to 60 feet without even tring. I highly recommend this line to anyone............

I cast the Elixir 380gr. 32' Spey line, with my Loop 11'6" 6/7, this afternoon. An excellent line that casts, mends, floats beautifully and shoots farther than I can see an indicator (85' was easy). No coiling issues at -10C....Two Thumbs up!

As for the choices between Scandi heads like the Elixir, Guidline, Loop, Airflow...or Mid bellys like Deltas, SA, Rio Mid speys...

or Long bellys like XLT, GrandSpey, GPS, ...is a question of fishing method, distance required, water and wind conditions, fly size, leader/ sink tip length and weight etc. There are a few good middle of the road Multi-tip lines such as the Delta's, S.A. & Rio Midspeys etc., that do most jobs ok, but there are better options for different fishing methods/situations.

For nymph/streamer fishing on the Bow River, the shorter Scandi Heads are my personal choice, as they allow me to work out to about 70'-80', very efficiently, with little back casting room needed. I can throw a triple indicator rig or sink tip with ease, in a strong wind, both near or far. Using the Delta under the same conditions, makes it difficult to fish near, as the rod will not load much until you have 40'-50' of the line/leader out of the rod tip. At distance, the long tapers of most 6/7wt. mid/long belly lines, will not turn over very well in the wind or with much weight on the leader. I can still fish an indicator or streamer rig out too about 80' with a Delta 6/7 Multi tip, but it's just easier to shoot a Scandi Head out to that distance and get less line disturbance on the water from the shorter lines and use less effort with an Underhand cast.

Scandi Heads are very "adaptable" to the majority of fishing situations you will encounter on the Bow.

I love using my long belly lines and fine tapered leaders, for fishing the hatches of spring/summer/fall, swinging nymphs, pupa, emergers, wets, drys etc., to fish "fine and far off".

So, I would recommend starting with a Scandi line, such as the Beulah Elixir, to learn the basic Spey casts, then get a longer belly, like the 5/6 CND GPS multi tip line, for summer fishing. Skagit Heads are not often needed for a river like the Bow, which is of medium depth and flow, as most fly sizes and sink tips required, will be easily cast with a Scandi Head and Polyleader of the appropriate length and sink rate. There are a few situations where a Skagit Head and heavy, fast sinking tips made from T-10, T-14, might be usefull on the Bow river, such as during Spring run off, casting in high winds or the odd run that is faster/deeper than the norm, but even in these circumstances, the newly developed dual densitiy sinking Scandi Heads with Poly sink tips, may be the better tool for the job.

edited:Jan/01/08'