Fly Fusion Forums

What Is The Best Floating Line Out There?

I really enjoy the new version of the SA GPX line - it shoots well and can still give a delicate presentation with smaller flies. Have a spool of Sharkskin but haven't had an opportunity to cast it yet. Durability has a lot to do with how you use it. Cold weather, dragging it on rocks, standing on it, etc. will all take a toll. That being said, I'm hard on my line and the GPX has held up well.

Guest bigbadbrent

Sharkskin, then GPX, then RIO Gold

i'll never buy airflo again, i broke 2 of their lines in one year, and each replacement is cracking on me

I have used mostly Cortland lines over the years. I have had few problems with, and I abuse my lines badly, trying lay sneaky casts over rocks and gravel, snagging trees and willows and just fishing a lot. The 444SL is my prefered line, although I have used the 555 as well. The 444 is not as high tech, the first foot or so tends to sink a bit, and the shooting characteristics aren't all that great. However, how often will you actually need to fish more than 40-50 feet away? The 444 will fill your needs in 90% of situations at a modest cost compared to the latest and greatest lines and it's very durable.

For Airflo Floating lines read AIRFLOP! These are the most slated lines in the UK which for Airflo is a pity as their sinking lines are excellent in comparison.

As for the Ridge lines - compare these with an Abrafile on your rod rings!

I have had a variety of floating lines and still have one that is 14 years old - a Masterline Challenge chestnut coloured floater. Currently I am using a Fulling Mill 7 weight WF and this is proving to be a good one for the relatively low price of £25:00. I would rate the Greys Platinum series as a good line to buy if the sink tip that I have is anything to go by.

As in all things, it is a matter of personal preference.