Fly Fusion Forums

Example Of Where You Should Be Keeping A 'low Profile'?

birchy

I pulled this pic of bigbowtrouts from the new pictures thread.. (hope you don't mind)..

No offense intended at all.. but i'm just curious.. is this an example of the small creeks where people talk about "crawling on their hands and knees" to approach the fish??

HighwoodAug12002.jpg

That's Cataract Creek(Brookies and maybe the odd Cutt :blink: ) so no crawling for the most part but if it was say a Brown trout creek then ya stealth is best.

I should add the being stealthy on any water will payoff but on some streams it is a must. If you hit the North Raven even the smallest ripple will put down most of the fish in that river and your fist cast is all you get then there down for a while. If you have never fished Cataract we should head out next year, it's a great little stream to learn about where the trout should be and you could get a better idea on what it would take to spook them as they are far less spooky so you can get a lot closer.

Cheers

First off, that spot & pic is beautiful. Almost looks like Louise without the lake.

I just watched another DVD where buddy was explaining sight fishing. He explained the 'viewing lane' you get to see fish through, then said that he walks the shore & scans for fish. He then said that almost inevitably you will spook the fish as you spot it, but if you keep walking at a steady speed you can follow him for a little bit until he stops. Then hunker down while trying to catch him.

Sounds nice in theory, but I can't account for its practicality, yet buddy was pulling out some monsters. DVD was named "Catching the trout of your dreams" (Trophy trout geared). It also explained how a trouts viewing angle is very small in shallow water, and that you should make many casts to get a presentation a trout will be able to see due to the narrow feild of vision it has.

Almost all the sight fishing I've seen, its usualy on bended knee and as far back as possible. I have about as much chance at seeing Bigfoot as a trout since I probably make more noise and commotion then a Moose in rut. Although I'm getting better everytime.

Don't forget the Ghillie suit

ghillie-suit.jpg

Bigbowtrout is right when he points out that different species in different streams have varyin g levels of wariness. There are two main approachs to handle spooky fish. Stay well away and make long casts, or stay low and use cover to get into easy casting distance. I've participated in the brook trout removal project on Quirk Creek for almost 10 years now, and it's very interesting to observe success rates among various fisherfolk. Invariably, the most successful guys are good sneakers and hiders. I've seen a number of guys show up bragging about they slayed the cutts on the Livingstone or the Oldman last week, and at the end of the day they had 1 or 2 fish total, while others had 30-40 fish. If you're fishing a small stream, or a big one for that matter, if you're not having any luck, try being as stealthy as possible. It will often make a big difference.

Guest bigbadbrent

I think it's all dependent on the day, on the food their eating, and where you are fishing. I've literally caught fish that were using me as a current break way the hell up in the mountains. Some people call Cutts dumb for that, but they're not dumb, they have to eat to survive, and the feeding season in the top of those streams (oldman, livingstone, etc) is so low they rarely have a choice but to grab your fly (not that this is set in stone..you can see some bastardly picky cutthroat)

I rarely sneak around, and i do just fine on those streams. I'll sneak around the bow more then those streams, as the big fish sit in the smallest water when they're feeding..

brown trout are a different thing completely though, i've heard stories of guys simply saying 'I'm about to cast' and the fish spook. And of course, as soon as one fish spooks, it will spook most of the others..

No matter what you fish for, you will do better off if your prey does not know you are there.

I fish a couple of little creeks, mostly some brookies, but some of size (and rainbows too). Crawl on your belly up to these creeks and you will see the decent fish... walk up and you get only the small ones. Its a whole new game lying on your belly with your fly only over the bank.

Of course, broken fast water hides you from the fish as much as it hides the fish from predators above.

And walk soft too, fish feel footsteps through their lateral lines.