Fly Fusion Forums

Flies For Grayling In Bear Pond

I have found for that #18-20 Griffiths & #16-20 P-Adams work well. For sub-surface, chironomids (like black/red) have produced well. I don't doubt that pheasant tails would work well too. If subsurface, vary your depth until you find the fish. Dead presentation works well, but like Reg said, sometimes a twitch here & there will induce more action from the fish. Good luck & have fun!

Guest bigbadbrent

Bear pond, go to the very far end of the lake if you have a tube, there is a lot of deadfall, so you'll likely snag, but there are also a good grouping of grayling that like the spot, pheasent tails, brent bugs, prince's, really any trout nymph works. Griffith gnats are prime for ontop

Bear pond, go to the very far end of the lake if you have a tube, there is a lot of deadfall, so you'll likely snag, but there are also a good grouping of grayling that like the spot, pheasent tails, brent bugs, prince's, really any trout nymph works. Griffith gnats are prime for ontop

Thanks for the tips on flies. I went there on Sat. a.m. I fished for an hour without any luck but I blame that all on my inability to cast more than 40 or 50 ft. not on the flies. There were lots of fish rising but they were out farther than my limited skills would allow me to cast. I don't have a tube but am considering buying one. Would appreciate any suggestions. It was a beautiful spot to fish especially with no one else around. Drove to Livingstone after but it was too crowded. Thanks again.

Thanks for the tips on flies. I went there on Sat. a.m. I fished for an hour without any luck but I blame that all on my inability to cast more than 40 or 50 ft. not on the flies. There were lots of fish rising but they were out farther than my limited skills would allow me to cast. I don't have a tube but am considering buying one. Would appreciate any suggestions. It was a beautiful spot to fish especially with no one else around. Drove to Livingstone after but it was too crowded. Thanks again.

40 - 50 ft? There were only 5 ft. from shore the last time I was there. Pheasant tail, griffith's gnat, and the old san juan worm worked golden. Got 13 in about an hour or so. Try it again and don't be shy to try close to shore.