Fly Fusion Forums

Any Vetrans In The Group?

Not necessarily war vets but military vets.......I 've seen combat situations first hand....my question basically ask if anyone has been in the service or still is.

Sorry flytyer. I guess that would be a no for me. :)

Hey Flytyer - didn't know you are a vet - one word: Thanks

I've got a few in the family (and a great uncle lost in WW1) so my respect runs deep - I visited the new war museum in Ottawa this year, was an incredible day, great to see something in place which is truly comensurate with the sacrifices our veterans have made.

One of my good friends served in Egypt in the 50's, his stories are fascinating and from him I learned that a country does not have to be in wartime for those sacrifices to be made.

Hey Flytyer - didn't know you are a vet - one word: Thanks

I've got a few in the family (and a great uncle lost in WW1) so my respect runs deep - I visited the new war museum in Ottawa this year, was an incredible day, great to see something in place which is truly comensurate with the sacrifices our veterans have made.

One of my good friends served in Egypt in the 50's, his stories are fascinating and from him I learned that a country does not have to be in wartime for those sacrifices to be made.

I served tours in the Persian Gulf in 91-92 and in Bosnia in 95-97

I was 3 years in SALH (recon/light armour) before deciding the environment was more important to me. Lived on CF bases with my Dad or on the ranch in near Pincher Creek with Mom's family, for most of my life. Also was a civy instructor for Air Cadets in Medicine Hat for a number of years. My dad was 30 years in the RCLdSH (armoured), multiple tours overseas and all that. My next younger brother served in Afganistan before becoming a Calgary city police officer. Also have a bunch of uncles, great grandparents, and other various relatives that serve or did, many in combat.

Military Vet:

8 years US Navy Sub Service running nuclear power plants. Served from 1980 to 88. No combat action, obviously and thankfully.

To all of you war vets, and vets in general, you have all of my heartfelt respect and thanks!

Rick: if you had stayed in another 3 or 4 years might have met you sooner in the early 90's

Where did you serve, besides in the Gulf (I assume)? I had a pretty sweet tour of duty. I had to put up with Pearl Harbor (I slummed it in Waikiki). San Diego, Orlando, Pocatello, Idaho (skiing, fishing) and Chicago. OK, I really didn't like Chicago, but you can't have it all!

All kidding aside, I was extremely lucky in the time I served. Pretty much nothing going on. I had a couple of moments of terror on the sub, but they were always over quickly. No sustained fear. I can't imagine what you guys went through. Thank you.

Where did you serve, besides in the Gulf (I assume)? I had a pretty sweet tour of duty. I had to put up with Pearl Harbor (I slummed it in Waikiki). San Diego, Orlando, Pocatello, Idaho (skiing, fishing) and Chicago. OK, I really didn't like Chicago, but you can't have it all!

All kidding aside, I was extremely lucky in the time I served. Pretty much nothing going on. I had a couple of moments of terror on the sub, but they were always over quickly. No sustained fear. I can't imagine what you guys went through. Thank you.

I served in the Persian Gulf, Bosnia( based in Turkey), Israel, UK, Australia various bases here in Canada and did some training out of San Diego and Miramar when it was operational. The best was Australia those guys there were a load fun to be around.