Fly Fusion Forums

So.. Trout Aren't Smart??

birchy

Instinct? I think not. I think some wiseacre took a picture of some trout being dumped INTO a pond. Then he thought

to himself," I wonder if anyone would be gullible enough to believe these fish are escaping from the pond by jumping

up into this pipe?" Then Birchy saw the article & thought to himself," I wonder if anyone would be gullible enough to

believe that I believe this?" Then I saw Birchy's posting & thought to myself," I don't believe anyone would believe

that Birchy would believe that anyone would believe that Birchy believes this !" Unbelievable!!! :blink:

Well we've seen trout trying to leap up Lundbreck Falls--obviously to no avail. My take on this is that the fish are being dumped in and that the story is bogus. We don't know the structures involved. Fish naturally swim into a current and I think that's what they are doing as they are dumped into the second pond. It could be real--but I'd not bet a new rod on it.

Also consider the physical attitude of all of the fish in the picture... ALL the same ... when in fact trout trying to jump upstream are in all manner of shapes and positions as they "flip" to get up. Look at all 3 trout in the stream. They could only be IN the stream if flowing with the stream downward and have such a common trajectory. The probability of that happening is low at best. Actual jumps are too random--see below. I think it is HIGHLY improbable that all four trout would be lined up just so in such a small stream I think it is bull. It was published in a British newspaper (The Telegraph) but you can also read that "Geo Bush is having an affair with Camilla Parker Bowles" in an English newspaper too--which I'd say is more probable. :)

This is really bugging me...I just spent ten minutes looking at salmon and trout leaping up waterfalls and fish ladders. They are rarely IN the water as two of these four fish are. Further on the trajectory shown. It's all too neat. At least half of the fish I saw leaping up falls were basically vertical--not at a 45° angle. The lower three fish are already at a 45° and would not get very far--surely they'd not have enough kinetic energy to get another two feet in the SAME line. Physics and gravity ain't like that.

Fish instinctively leap upward (like the Crowsnest trout at the Falls) but they really don't know where the are going--if they knew where they were going they'd sure as hell not try to get up Lundbreck falls. These fish have no idea that the water flow is coming out of small spout. Bogus. 99.99 %

salmon_leaping_fs_567343.jpg

hmmmmm...Ive seen Salmon jump and suceed through less water..but not at the rate at which these trout are trying to jump.. If this was actually the case I don;t believe you'd see 4 trout attemping that close together..Ive seen pools of a thousand fish or more jumping over waterfalls and very seldom will you see more than a couple at a time through a small channel..my 0.02 = trout being dumped . although it's quite possible a trout could escape through that pipe..