Fly Fusion Forums

Dubbing Tool How To Work It?

Fisherwoman

i dont know exactly what you mean by a dubbing tool. so no instructions on how to use one.

i use 3 methods.

1. dubbing loop. best way to describe it would be to tie your thread on to you hook. let the thread hang, and double the thread back to the hook so you have 3 inches of thread now formed into a loop. close the loop on the hook by wraping the thread a couple of times. now your dubbing loop is secure and you can add whatever material you want inside the loop and twist to secure the material. then wrap you thead forward to where you want your dubbing to end, wrap the dubbing loop forward around the hook to where your thread is and secure with a few wraps, cut off the excess dubbing loop. (best for material like feathers or fur)

2. spliting the thread, basically, in stead of making the loop, you split the thread hanging down from the hook and insert the materian into the thread, twist a little and wrap forward on your hook.

3. finger method. assuming you are right handed and assuming no tail material, catch in thread to bend in hook and let thread/bobbin hang abot 6 inches from the hook, slightly moisen left index and thumb, take a pinch of dubbing material betweeen your right index finger and thumb, (i usually hold the hanging thread with my other 3 fingers for control) with you left fingers, start to spin the thread at the same time, spinning the dubbing material on to the thread with left hand and stablize with your right. only spin in one direction and try not to clump the material.

this takes some practice but in the end you should end up with 4 or 5 inches of dubbing spun on to your thread. note, a little material will go a long way and to avoid clumping only spin on a little material at a time. it is very much like spinning yarn ie: sheep wool yarn, except you have a thread in the middle.

i dont know exactly what you mean by a dubbing tool. so no instructions on how to use one.

i use 3 methods.

1. dubbing loop. best way to describe it would be to tie your thread on to you hook. let the thread hang, and double the thread back to the hook so you have 3 inches of thread now formed into a loop. close the loop on the hook by wraping the thread a couple of times. now your dubbing loop is secure and you can add whatever material you want inside the loop and twist to secure the material. then wrap you thead forward to where you want your dubbing to end, wrap the dubbing loop forward around the hook to where your thread is and secure with a few wraps, cut off the excess dubbing loop. (best for material like feathers or fur)

2. spliting the thread, basically, in stead of making the loop, you split the thread hanging down from the hook and insert the materian into the thread, twist a little and wrap forward on your hook.

3. finger method. assuming you are right handed and assuming no tail material, catch in thread to bend in hook and let thread/bobbin hang abot 6 inches from the hook, slightly moisen left index and thumb, take a pinch of dubbing material betweeen your right index finger and thumb, (i usually hold the hanging thread with my other 3 fingers for control) with you left fingers, start to spin the thread at the same time, spinning the dubbing material on to the thread with left hand and stablize with your right. only spin in one direction and try not to clump the material.

this takes some practice but in the end you should end up with 4 or 5 inches of dubbing spun on to your thread. note, a little material will go a long way and to avoid clumping only spin on a little material at a time. it is very much like spinning yarn ie: sheep wool yarn, except you have a thread in the middle.

Hi LS, you are awsome, thank-you!! I bet your a great teacher.. I looked on the interent again found this site. there's pictures to your words.

http://www.invictaflies.us/Articles/dubbing_loop.htm

I look forward to more of your replies.

Thank-you..

you are welcome. hey if you are in calgary, come out to the hook and hackle meetings. the next one is the xmas dinner, but in january 2nd and 4th Wednesday, come out as a guest. everyone would be willing to help.

also if you want step by steps on how to develope core tying skills, check out

UK fly dressers

these guys are very helpful and some extremely knowledgable