Fly Fusion Forums

Howard's Hackle

sirocco

Yeah I was going to mention later on, after I did some research, that I meant rooster and not hen, but I knew you guys knew what I meant :P

As an aside, what is the difference between the different grades of hackle? Is it simply that #1 Grade has more than #3 for example, and thus gives you more flies per cape, or is there actually a quality difference in the hackle itself?

Yeah I was going to mention later on, after I did some research, that I meant rooster and not hen, but I knew you guys knew what I meant :P

As an aside, what is the difference between the different grades of hackle? Is it simply that #1 Grade has more than #3 for example, and thus gives you more flies per cape, or is there actually a quality difference in the hackle itself?

Howard Hackle has an email addy on their site, email them and a very detailed response of what you can expect from each of their products should follow. Sorry but I can't seem to find the email he sent me.

Generally speaking, the higher the grade, the higher the feather counts and quality of the hide. Whiting grades their capes and saddles into Pro, #3(bronze), #2(silver), #1(Gold), Platinum and an XXPlatinum something or other of which only 20-40 pelts make it into every year (and they retail for around 300$)

Howard just has the 3 grades. The bronze capes are pretty good and the #1 are awesome. The Saddles are nice as well, but I would buy at least a number 2 saddle if you are tying dries. His stock has come a long way in a short time, and he's figuring out how the breed the birds better.

I have bought a couple of capes from him at the show the last two years. The quality is good, on the #2 capes I've bought, and my only concern is that the feather count is relatively low, compared to a Metz or Whiting. However, work in the price difference and things are pretty reasonable. I'll be buying more this year.