Fly Fusion Forums

Rod Repair

Bought a used demo Z-axis on eBay a couple years back - broke the tip section last summer. Thought it was a shop demo but apparently it's a factory demo thus Sage will not repair it even for a fee. Any ideas on getting it fixed?

If it broke an inch or two from the tip you can try adding a new tip top and repositioning the closest guide. It will change the action somewhat, but it may still be fishable. If its further down the section you might be SOL.

• Like 1

I see it two ways. Buy another rod and you'll have a spare butt section and be able to send any future problems in for repair.(confirm ferrule fit first)

Or find a buddy with the same rod and send his butt section in with your tip, assuming the fit is right. A scummy move but that's also kinda lame that sage wouldn't fix it even for a fee.

• Like 1

I like Bron's idea and I agree - I think it's kind of crappy for sage not to offer a replacement piece if you're willing to pay for it. It's a real long shot, but if you could find a section of blank that would fit in the top section of the broken piece you might be able to saw the lower section off flush and reinforce it with a thread wrap and finish to make a kind of spigot ferrule setup like you sometimes see on fiberglass rods. I was trying to fix a wiggly reel seat on a loop rod I have and I ended up breaking the blank underneath the handle. I used a piece of another butt section that I slid inside the blank and epoxied in place and it worked like a charm, but that's a lot different than a repair on a tip section.

I see it two ways. Buy another rod and you'll have a spare butt section and be able to send any future problems in for repair.(confirm ferrule fit first)

Or find a buddy with the same rod and send his butt section in with your tip, assuming the fit is right. A scummy move but that's also kinda lame that sage wouldn't fix it even for a fee.

The two piece 5wt Z Axis was never in production so it's unlikely I'll find someone with the same rod.