Fly Fusion Forums

The Awesome Price We Pay For De-Icing

This was a really fascinating read:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/the-awesome-price-we-pay-for-road-de-icing-melting-cars-collapsing-bridges-billions-in-damage

There is a broader economic dilemma we face when it comes to better stewardship. Often times the least desirable solutions from a societal perspective end up being the most cost effective (unless you consider the long term/social costs).

Until innovation can catch up and make more sustainable solutions cost effective, it is unlikely behaviour will change...
...unless of course measures are taken to factor societal costs into the price of the commodity (hey, where else is that happening?).

Been beaten like a dead horse in the years I've been on this site, and never changes....... Much the same way I watched the front steps of both my townhouse and office building get destroyed because people can't seem to understand that it's a waste of time, much less grasp the fact that the broadcast rate need not be 5 pounds per square foot. And yes, I realize it ends up in the river as a result. Common sense, once again, is far too uncommon.

I have developed a natural, biodegradable and toxicity free line of road dust control products that perform at as good or better than the common magnesium and calcium chloride salts they have poured to our roads for decades. It costs equivalent to the salts they use and has been demonstrated around the world in its performance. From firsthand experience, it can be difficult to change status-quo.