Fly Fusion Forums

Knot Strength Clarification

I have read that wind knots can reduce tippet strength by 50%. Since I am relatively new to fly fishing my knot skills are lacking for some knots like the blood knot. When I set up to nymph I use a tippet ring and I tie a stopper knot between the tippet ring and my first fly for the split shot. Would this stopper knot reduce tippet strength also?

Hi keet,

These are just personal suggestions, but I've had good results. :D

As far as the blood knot is concerned, I've used the Double Uni knot instead, both in fly fishing and 50lb test conventional fishing. I've only broken the connection if I had to break it on purpose during a bad snag. The knot itself didn't let go, it was the lighter tippet/line material below the knot that would break. Never had the DU knot slip either, and it works really well tying two different diameters together. Just a suggestion. :thumbup:

Using splitshot, I was taught to clamp the SS directly onto the knot that holds the nymph you want to go deep. If you use something like a Nonslip Loop or Lefty's Loop, which both form a strong loop to have the fly moving freely, at the knot 1-2cm away from the fly, you could clamp the SS there. Can't get away from knots, but maybe this could simplify your rig a bit, and save a bit of tippet strength. Hope this helps!

-M.

nonslip_zpslwylkpvt.png

leftysloop_zpskpqm0foh.png

I have read that wind knots can reduce tippet strength by 50%. Since I am relatively new to fly fishing my knot skills are lacking for some knots like the blood knot. When I set up to nymph I use a tippet ring and I tie a stopper knot between the tippet ring and my first fly for the split shot. Would this stopper knot reduce tippet strength also?

The stopper knot will introduce an inherent weak point. Very, very few knots strengthen the line. I find nymphing is somewhat like handwriting---everyone has their style. Personally, i would put the split shot directly above the tippet ring. I would then set the distance between indicator and tippet ring to approximately the water depth, erring on the deep side, then 30 to 40 cm of tippet to the first fly, and then 30 cm to the second fly. The whole rig ends up being 1.5 - 2x the water depth. This will give the flies slight more natural motion in the water, but it will take longer to get them in the strike zone.

• Like 3