Fly Fusion Forums

Is Fishing The Bow During The Day Wasted Effort?

Big time newbie here, just wondering how much success others have fishing the bow during the day (in waders from the bank)

I usually only try the bow as the sun is going down, never had any bites on heavy streamers or nymphs during the day. Days like today where I've got nothing going on I'm tempted to head out in the afternoon.

I believe the fish will be in deeper/faster holes to escape the heat, which can be challenging to find while fishing from the banks.

Is it almost a wasted effort in the heat of midday or do some of you pull fish all day long?

Any tips? Thanks

Ditto to what Bron said

Trout move up higher in the riffles when it's hot. The faster moving water over the riffle has much more oxygen than the deep runs. When the water temps approach critical levels, the trout will be looking for oxygen

• Like 3

Ditto to what Bron said

Trout move up higher in the riffles when it's hot. The faster moving water over the riffle has much more oxygen than the deep runs. When the water temps approach critical levels, the trout will be looking for oxygen

+1 RedBeard. I've had some great afternoons (and witnessed others) fishing riffles as well, when the deeper pools produced nothing.

Getting stripped off to backing on a bluebird day, standing in knee-deep water...can't beat it!

-M.

• Like 1

Thats some reassuring stuff, ill be going out today to find some riffles then!

One last semi-unrelated question; what kind of river conditions are streamers most life-like? Im sure it makes a difference whether you are trying to imitate a leech or minnow, but for arguments sake lets say a minnow /small fish. Where do they naturally live in the river for me to imitate? Along banks, deep pools, shallow runs?

Sometimes Ill toss one in and not be totally confident if im using it in the correct area of the river that a trout would be used to finding/eating them. And my catch rate/journal doesnt really lead me to any conclusions

Thanks

One last semi-unrelated question; what kind of river conditions are streamers most life-like? Im sure it makes a difference whether you are trying to imitate a leech or minnow, but for arguments sake lets say a minnow /small fish. Where do they naturally live in the river for me to imitate? Along banks, deep pools, shallow runs?

Hey Freshdub,

Re: Streamer fishing - This is a bit of a long read, but very informative. Of course, Scientific Anglers will be selling their stuff, but that's how it goes. Best of luck!

http://www.scientificanglers.com/streamer-tactics-trout/

-M.