Fly Fusion Forums

Bow Headwaters Chapter Of Trout Unlimited Event In Canmore On Sunday.

Deb and I were thinking of going after a hike in BNP. Anyone care to join us (on the hike, dinner and/or the event)? If so send through a PM.

P

2016-05-19
Wild Trout of the Upper Bow Valley

Join the Bow Headwaters Chapter of Trout Unlimited Canada for "Wild Trout of the Upper Bow Valley Watershed", an evening of film, literature, inspiration and tall tales about trout and fishing for them.

The event takes place on Sunday, May 29 starting at 6:30 pm at artsPlace in Canmore (950 8th Ave).

There will be a cash bar with wine, beer, beverages, and snacks. Admission is by donation to the Bow Headwaters Chapter of Trout Unlimited Canada. Seating is limited! To register please visit the artsPlace website. You can also download a PDF copy of the Wild Trout Poster.

Agenda:

6.30 to 7.30 pm. In the foyer, The Gallery. Meet and talk.

Gary Anderson will have a fly tying bench set up and will be demonstrating tying flies for our area. Everything from tiny mayflies to heavy stuff.
Your Favourite Photos. You are invited to bring your favourite photos of your fishing experiences. Not just big fish, but your experiences. Two photos per person. Describe your photo, and the date. We will have a table set up for them. Not a competition, just a remembrance of things past.
7.30 pm. Host, Gerry Stephenson. A brief introduction to the evening.

A short history of fishing in the valley, 1968 to present day. The odd fishing story may creep in. Tears will be shed.
7.45 pm. Kevin Van Tighem. Streams, Trout and Land Use.

Synopsis: Forestry practices, roads and trails determine the health of headwaters trout streams both by changing the base flows that keep the streams full and flowing and by influencing how much eroded silt ends up in the stream. Kevin will draw from his recent bookHeart Waters; Sources of the Bow River to illustrate how weve gotten landuse wrong in recent decades. and how we can get it right in the years to come.His book will be available for sale in the gallery.
8.15 pm. Bill Hunt. Resource Conservation Manager Banff National Park.

Bill will introduce The 100 a film of a project to transplant 100 pure strain Westslope Cutthroat trout from Sawback Lake to Rainbow Lake - a significant effort towards recovery of this Threatened species. The film vividly describes the steps leading up to and including the transfer itself. Discussion, Questions and Answers about the film

8.50 pm. Open discussion.

Audience members are invited to use the wireless floor microphone to offer their views or ask questions about fish and fishing in the Upper Bow Valley within and outside the Banff National Park.

Close. When we run out of interesting things to talk about

Back to News Items

It was a great evening. Not only did we get to meet some incredible people (Gerry Shephenson, Kevin Van Tighem, PC Biologist Bill Hunt and film maker Mike Quigley) plus a fellow FFC member CanmoreKiwi (Dave).

Great presentation from Kevin (albeit rushed) and an incredible film "100" about Parks Canada's efforts on introducing native WSC into Rainbow Lake (which previously held introduced and invasive Rainbow) which were taken from Sawback Lake (one of ~10 lakes in BNP that contain Pure Strain WSC). I won't ruin the story, but please look for (and support) the film if it's picked up by the Banff Mtn Film Fest and hopefully the International Fly Fishing Film Fest. It's an incredible film and amazing story and awesome effort of the many volunteers (both TU - Bow Headwaters Chapter and community members).

• Like 2

Thanks for the update. I wish I could have made it. I like to challenge most things Parks does but this was a good thing. As you are aware the same thing is going on with Hidden Lake and hopefully Cutties can be added there very soon.

Yes, Deb, myself, Nachako, MountainRiverWalker, and PipestoneFlyguy were all involved in the Hidden Lake Project! It was an AMAZING experience!

As you are aware the same thing is going on with Hidden Lake and hopefully Cutties can be added there very soon.

Here's my take on it: the upper bow TU folks seem like a good bunch, I would become a member if I was a joiner.

Kevin Van Tighem is a good head, but I will always be partial to someone I first met on the Upper Spray River.

His latest book seems to have a strong conservation message to it, much like what I hear from the members of this forum:

Get ATV's and clear-cuts out of the front ranges.

The movie: I could watch hi-def video of the Upper Cascade all day; Sawback creek, Flints park, Block lakes and the west fork up to Badger pass are some of my favourite places on the planet. Three times I've been to Rainbow lake and it is stunningly beautiful; twice a bear showed up before I caught 2 fish and I had to leave in a hurry

But! I thought the movie was no more than a commercial to attract more visitors (and anglers) to the park, there was very little conservation message (as someone commented in the discussion). So why did the money to make the vid come from a communication budget. I think the primary goal of the current Banff park administration is to attract more visitors and as a 20yr bow valley local I don't like the direction the current Banff park administration is taking,

Geoff,

Hmmm.... I (we) didn't get that impression at all (that this was a commercial to attract more visitors to the Park - though I agree with you as to the current administrations efforts and further agree that I don't like that direction). Though that was your perspective and that's perfectly ok!

In my (our) experience/perspective, I think the film highlighted the efforts of the Parks mandate to re-establish/protect native species within the Park and to correct the mistakes made by the Park in the past - which was at that time, definitely directed to get more people into mtn lakes to fish for them!

I think Bill's response was accurate when he stated that a "conservation" message was not possible in a film that started out to be 5 min and ended up being 19 min in length... The film highlighted one of the many projects currently going on and was very successful at that. That being said, the people that would be interested in a film like this already have conservation top of mind and the vast "majority" of non conservation minded people wouldn't watch this particular film in the first place.

As far as budgets go (in a large bureaucracy like Parks Canada), I think you get money from those that will give it to you!!

Cheers,

P

Here's my take on it: the upper bow TU folks seem like a good bunch, I would become a member if I was a joiner.

Kevin Van Tighem is a good head, but I will always be partial to someone I first met on the Upper Spray River.

His latest book seems to have a strong conservation message to it, much like what I hear from the members of this forum:

Get ATV's and clear-cuts out of the front ranges.

The movie: I could watch hi-def video of the Upper Cascade all day; Sawback creek, Flints park, Block lakes and the west fork up to Badger pass are some of my favourite places on the planet. Three times I've been to Rainbow lake and it is stunningly beautiful; twice a bear showed up before I caught 2 fish and I had to leave in a hurry

But! I thought the movie was no more than a commercial to attract more visitors (and anglers) to the park, there was very little conservation message (as someone commented in the discussion). So why did the money to make the vid come from a communication budget. I think the primary goal of the current Banff park administration is to attract more visitors and as a 20yr bow valley local I don't like the direction the current Banff park administration is taking,

Good points Pete, Probably just my biased against the feds who pull the strings in the Kremlin, the vid was just so shiny it kind of struck me as an ad.

Now lets talk fishing: After several years without predation the invertebrate population should be booming in Rainbow lk and those "100" should grow fast. I plan on going late this season. Heads up to anyone heading up there; the hiking trail to rainbow lk has been deactivated so you'll have to use Warner's horse trail (unsigned and sloppy when rainy)

Thinning the trout population in Sawback lk will allow those remaining to grow fast, 20 years ago it was common to catch more than one 24" cutt in a visit,

The last time I was at Sawback I was skunked though, that's why they call it fishin and not catchin

Another reason I think it wasn;t necessarily an advertisement for this particular area!! The majority of people would not make the 30 km + hike to get in there!! :-)

Good points Pete, Probably just my biased against the feds who pull the strings in the Kremlin, the vid was just so shiny it kind of struck me as an ad.

Now lets talk fishing: After several years without predation the invertebrate population should be booming in Rainbow lk and those "100" should grow fast. I plan on going late this season. Heads up to anyone heading up there; the hiking trail to rainbow lk has been deactivated so you'll have to use Warner's horse trail (unsigned and sloppy when rainy)

Thinning the trout population in Sawback lk will allow those remaining to grow fast, 20 years ago it was common to catch more than one 24" cutt in a visit,

The last time I was at Sawback I was skunked though, that's why they call it fishin and not catchin

Excellent points by both of you gentlemen. Thanks for the input Geoff. I am curious about Badger lake which is on the target list for this Summer. It looks pretty Isolated but when I did my research I was wondering can those fish get down the outlet ,survive and make it into the main system ?