Fly Fusion Forums

Best Carry On Back Pack With Dual Rod Storage?

RunnyD

I'm looking for a back pack that I can use as a carry on and will hold 2 rod tubes. Would prefer waterproof but not a requirement.

I like the Umpqua Surveyor 1100, which will fit my chest pack but it might be a little small. I'd love to spend $400 on a new Simms Z pack but it's not in the budget (~$200).

Thoughts/opinions...?

and go...

I have a Fish Pond Bitch Creek backpack. It has dual rod tube holders. Great pack...its a day pack:

The overnight pack is called the Black Canyon:

http://fishpondflyfishing.com/Pages/Backpacks.html

At the bottom of both rod holders, there is a zipper with a round folded pocket inside that slips out, which then firmly holds the tube at a lower level.

I have been using a Simms Dry Creek for years on saltwater trips and have never been challenged by airlines. 36litres and waterproof, room for a rod tube per side although i can not say for the newest edition as mine is 1/2 dozen years old but mine has pockets on both sides for bottom of tubes or water bottles and sashes up top to secure the tubes although I usually only use these(tube pockets) when hiking or biking and I am only carrying 2 rods. I tend to take a larger 5 rod tube which I carry on for saltwater trips which leaves room for essentials... boots,rain jacket,flats clothing in the pack in case my main bag does not arrive. Great pack as its waterproof and light. One to look at if you carry a separate rod tube and do not need the tube pockets is the 35litre sealline boundary pack and likely cheaper than the simms.