Fly Fusion Forums

Trout Feeding Times

birchy

In pretty much all the books I've read so far the "prime feeding times" for trout are in mid-day during the cooler months and early morning and late afternoon in the hot months. I know this is a rule of thumb.

My question is.. are trout feeding after dark during this time of year, or is the water too cool now?

I guess what I'm really asking is.. Is it a waste of my time to go out after work right now when it's dark so early?

Waste of time..not really(when is fishing ever a waste of time?), worth it..not really..the main reasons night fishing is so hot in the summer is because of the huge hatches / temperature change..with little hatching right now and the drop in temperature in the evening..it makes for less than prime conditions. I find late morning to early afternoon the best this time of year, thats not to say you won't go out at 7 am or 7pm and get into fish. Soon when all the fish are in the winter runs, all you'll have to do is find one and worry about ice free water..

You gotta consider risk vs. reward to buddy, do you want to be stumbling around icy rocks in the dark, freezing cold..? I'd stick to the afternoons on the weekends if thats all you can manage..

• 2 weeks later...