Fly Fusion Forums

Bead Size?

Guest ArtVandelay

I'm going to attempt a few of these as my fisrt fly...no hackle so it shouldn't be too difficult...right?? Anyway I'm just wondering how you go about matching bead size to hook size. Is there a formula or something? Or is this something you just figure out through experience? I fully intend to take a class but it looks like it won't be until January.

midges and chronies can be fairly simple or very frustrating. it can be difficult to judge size and amounts of materials when just starting out. since midges are usually tied on 16 or smaller hooks, they can be hard to see and need to be rather exacting. if you are starting out on your very first fly having never tied anything before, with no lessons or anything of the sort, i would suggest starting out with something a little larger. perhaps a 10-14.

there are some good tutorials on this site. troutflies.com

this site has a beginners fly section, what to tie and how to do it. flyanglers

just my opinion, but if you are starting out. dont worry about what you are tying or for what reason, start with basic patterns and techniques that are universal to different patterns. practice one or 2 techniques on each hook and then move on to another set of techniques and so on until you have the basics. once you are comfortable and understand the whys, hows etc. move on to putting the techniques to use in a complete pattern. again, start out easy and at a comfortable size and then move.

but if you have your heart set on a size 20 bead head midge as your first fly, the link din provided is good.

Good points LS. And troutflies.com....excellent site! I LOVE the internet. There are lots of good videos on YouTube as well. I know tying small flies is not the way to start out. I don't intend on tying those midges any smaller than a size 16, which I know may render them ineffective. I've added the Hare's Ear and Pheasant Tail to the list. I'll let ya know how it goes. I might even be brave enough to post a couple of picks of my debut flies! LOL! Thanks for the input.

JV

I found the hardest part about tying is having the confidence to use what I tied. I thought all mine were garbage...one day just took the flies I tied to the river and no others, and managed to catch a couple on them! Next time I sat down to tie, and wasn't as worried about the quality of them, and my skills increased ten fold with the new found confidence.

Let us know how it works out for you. The people on this site are great, and can hopefully help you out if needed.

Cheers,

Mitch