Fly Fusion Forums

New Reel

Went for a shop today hitting up the new shop way up north calgary.

Not sure if your allowed to say names but a big shout out too Mike D .

Like the store & some good candy in there to browse.

Wanted to get a reel for a new streamer rig I am putting together.

Looked @ several in the size wanted from 150-600 plus.

Nothing really grabbing me, wanted a fairly large arbour for some decent line p/u.

Anyhow mike put me onto a relatively new brand designed by a top class machinist who has decades of reel making under his belt.

3 Tand is the name .

Very impressed with the tolerances , they can't be any better, the drag is completely sealed and a great range.

Rubber on the bottom of the foot for no slippage.

Bunch of other cool features too, best of all just over $200 for a fully machined reel.

Anyhow if anyone is shopping it's one too consider.

Oh ya won reel of the year 2014.

• Like 1

Guest bigdirty

Fully support this post. 3tand reels and the guys at IronBow = good stuffs.

Ive been using a 3Tand for the 6 weight as well. I think its real pretty. Ive got mine loaded up with some real bright backing and love it. Counter balance is machined into the spool, so no half knob thing on the other side of your handle.

My only issue has been the mechanism that makes the click sound has worn off. Doesnt effect the drag. I kind of like the silent drag now anyways.

Some advice - watch the knob/screw at the center of the spool when changing spools. It comes off!!!! I chased mine down the bank one day. Also, the rubber on the bottom of the foot covers 2 screws, which can come loose and result in some wobble/wiggle in the reel. Im sure one side of the rubber is not glued down and I just picked off the glued side but I lost my rubber thing. oops!

Fully support this post. 3tand reels and the guys at IronBow = good stuffs.

Ive been using a 3Tand for the 6 weight as well. I think its real pretty. Ive got mine loaded up with some real bright backing and love it. Counter balance is machined into the spool, so no half knob thing on the other side of your handle.

My only issue has been the mechanism that makes the click sound has worn off. Doesnt effect the drag. I kind of like the silent drag now anyways.

Some advice - watch the knob/screw at the center of the spool when changing spools. It comes off!!!! I chased mine down the bank one day. Also, the rubber on the bottom of the foot covers 2 screws, which can come loose and result in some wobble/wiggle in the reel. Im sure one side of the rubber is not glued down and I just picked off the glued side but I lost my rubber thing. oops!

Thanks for the tips, you know you've caught fish when the clickers worn out!

Mike had a tand in there that someone drove over with their car, be a good belt buckle or hang it around your neck.