Fly Fusion Forums

Some Newbie Ramblings...

I like polar fleece too, although not much helps when you're neck deep in the water lol. I didn't get cold, just soaked. Once the water fills the waders you're kinda screwed. If I venture out in the winter I'll have to be very careful. Might just stick to spinning from shore.

When the water's cold, wool base layers are your best friend. Wool will still keep you warm even when it's wet unlike cotton or synthetic base layers.

Well said, wool will keep you warm even when wet. And just a tip for you out there, no matter what time of year you fish, extra sox and other clothes can be a god sent.

Never thought about bringing extra socks and such... good tip thanks!

I keep a "backcountry bag" in my truck all the time. In the summer it has a rain jacket, shell pants, medium microfibre towel, light gloves, light tuque, nanopuff jacket, and a pair of socks. In the winter I replace the tuque, socks, and gloves with warmer ones. It's useful for fishing, hiking, and camping.
  • Like 1

I generally head out just south of the Sue Higgins bridge off the east bank as it's close to home...maybe that's just a dead area?

For what its worth, (and I haven't really fished that area much after the flood so I don't know how much it has changed)

but I find the east bank downstream of the Sue Higgins bridge to be pretty flat and featureless until you get past the chanel/inlet and head towards the baseball diamonds.

Its never been a super productive area for me, but there were a few fish to be had.

• 4 weeks later...