Fly Fusion Forums

Wing Burners???

ladystrange

in my pile of stuff that i have, i found a set of 'wing burners' actually 2 sets, but i had no idea what they were and i was going to take a picture but while searching through an online fly tying material store i tripped across them.

Wing_burner_set_Mayfly_renamed_8061.jpg

what exactly do you do with them, or how do you use them?

i'm envisioning feathers, a lighter and clothes peg for your nose

the may fly tag was on the ad for purchase. prior to that, no i had no idea. i'm assuming they are wing templates for mayfly patterns?

i threw in the clothes peg, only assuming that the burning of feathers would smell just about as great as hair... eww

do you use these at all?

My wing burners don't get a lot of use, but when I do burn feathers, instead of using a lighter or candle I use an incense stick. It helps with the stink and it's also a small, controllable heat source. It helps me to only burn what I intend to burn, not the whole feather and stem. The downside is ash control, but I can handle that with an ashtray and a wet paper towel close at hand. When I've finished with the feathers, I just let the incense burn down.

I got the idea from my acupuncture training for which we burn a medicinal herb called moxa on or near acupuncture points. You don't want to use a big ol' lighter torch right next to someone's skin, so lighting moxa with an incense stick works really well.