Fly Fusion Forums

Fall Pike

JDC

Just wondering if anyone has had much luck targeting pike in October on some of the southern ab lakes. I know that spring is the preferred time of year but I have read that some good size fish can be had in fall. Bought a watermaster back in August and was thinking it might be fun before things start to freeze up.

We've had some great luck in the fall as well. I'll be down at Keho this weekend hoping to get into a few gators. I find that you need to get out there 2-3 weeks before the ice comes on. Some cooler temperatures will kill off a good chunk of the weeds and the bigger fish begin to move into the shallows again.

The southern Alberta reservoirs can give up some huge pike in October. I landed at least 1 monster Pike 3 straight years on my annual late October trip to my favorite fall reservoir. See 2 of them in the photos below. The guys I went on this annual trip with are spin fishermen so I join them in chucking spoons and crankbaits to the big fall waterwolves. I have not tried the fly rod on the reservoirs yet ... but I'm sure it would be a lot of fun.

IMG_0222_zps9ed186af.jpg

IMG_0060_zps88ef48a8.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...