Fly Fusion Forums

Coffee Cup Boatman

BigFoamy

Back in the day Fish Tales had a small amount of these, I think one of the guys there tied this fly. Very basic, Thread, white styrofoam coffee cup and pheasant tail. This was over 10 years ago and i recall that fly to have looked different than this one but thought I would give it a try today as it is Boatman season. I never had a list of materials or anything just remember having one, using it and catching fish. Beings that its tied with coffee cup foam it didnt last long. I ASSUME this is something how it went :)

IMG_0873_zpseba7447e.jpg

its the thickest right around the rim

little blurry but youll still get it. I cut a little taper in the tail end of the foam for shape, added head cement to the thread and affixed a piece both on the top and bottom of the hook shank

09ba88d2-c2df-488c-8c85-9713643a5d2e_zps

at this point, i added head cement to the outside of the fly waited a minute then used needle nose pliers to gently form the body, these bugs are typically flat and wide. again, blurry but you can see it.

939b1132-4b09-445f-bfb3-d2871cb878e3_zps

add thread for body shape, colour, strength, etc.

IMG_0878_zps79cd05be.jpg

IMG_0877_zpsb4c0fe2e.jpg

pull the PT over, tie it down, pull the fibres back and use for your legs. As simple as it gets. Cant wait to go out and try it. First Im going to tie 10 more so that they look better. This was my first go at this fly from long ago. Next one will be a little fatter :) and will have the legs more at an angle pointing downwards. Photobucket just crashed, hoping this all works out.

• Like 1

IMG_0880_zpsa36c51bc.jpg

aah there it is. not a great look at it but this should be a good fly ontop or higher in the water. you can make your legs as short or as long or as dense as you want them. Im going to tie a few more of these, fatter and wider.

• Like 2