Fly Fusion Forums

Stimulators With Or Without Legs ?

Just looking for opinions on this ... Do you like using a stimulator with rubber legs or with out?

Do you notice a difference with one or the other being more successful?

I kind of noticed that when I am fishing for cutthroats with stimmies they prefer when they have rubber legs but when I am fishing for browns I noticed that the traditional no leg stimmies work better.

Has anyone else noticed this? and if so why do you think it might be?

I was thinking it might have to do with how it floats I notice the rubber legged stimmies that I get ride quite high on the water and the traditional ones ride quite a bit lower ... maybe cuts like flies that ride high and browns the opposite I don't know what do you guys think?

on my last outing I did a lot better than my partner and I was using a traditional he was using a rubber leg version that works awesome on throats here are a couple photos and a vid of the fish from that day.

so let me know your thoughts on my questions thanks

Diddy.

IMG_1660_zpse0195501.jpg

IMG_1662_zps9d63b420.jpg

• Like 1

For spooky / tricky fish I also have noticed, you are not alone. I usually throw on a LeTort's Hopper or a similar pattern. I do love the big rubber leg bugs during stonefly season though, they can't be beat (both topwater and nymph versions of rubber leg stones are insane).

Cheers. :)

It seems to me that a rubber legged stimmie would float lower on the water than a regular one as rubber sinks. Interesting that you say they ride higher?

I agree with your thought here Flyfisher but I think the reason the traditional stimmie I had floats lower is because of the fact that it is a much more bare bones fly not that bushy and less hackle where as the rubber leg version I have although probably heavier it is much more bushy and bulky with a thick amount of hackle thus the high floatation ... but now that you have me thinking about it maybe it just looks like its floating higher because its bigger bushier and easier to see ... I will have to examine this next time out ... either way they both work ... bless the stimmie one of the best patterns out there.

I agree with your thought here Flyfisher but I think the reason the traditional stimmie I had floats lower is because of the fact that it is a much more bare bones fly not that bushy and less hackle where as the rubber leg version I have although probably heavier it is much more bushy and bulky with a thick amount of hackle thus the high floatation ... but now that you have me thinking about it maybe it just looks like its floating higher because its bigger bushier and easier to see ... I will have to examine this next time out ... either way they both work ... bless the stimmie one of the best patterns out there.

To really find out which works better (with or without rubber legs) you'd have to fish flies that are dressed the same with the exception that some have rubber legs. Fish both types equally for over a season and see which performs better. The stimmie is one of many great flies by Randal Kaufmann.

BTW I tie mine without legs. Sometimes fish are into legs and often it is when they are willing to hit larger flies particularly when water clarity at the beginning of season is improving. That's my experience anyway.

• Like 1