Fly Fusion Forums

Chasing Gold

Heimdallr

I did the hike up to Southfork Lakes last week in search of some goldens. The wind was insane while I was up there, I spent one night up there and got about 2 hours of sleep. Hiked up the first day around 3pm and it took me about 3 hours to get to the 2nd lake. Basically spent all my time trying to get my stove lit so I could eat something.

The next morning was still ridiculous windy with pretty insane gusts, but I manage to get a fly out for a couple of hours in between gusts. I was extremely happy to strike gold twice. I also missed a couple more and a relatively large one on the dry. Pictures do not do these fish justice. They are absolutely spectacular.

DSC_0341.jpg

DSC_0342.jpg

DSC_0347.jpg

DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0355.jpg

DSC_0378.jpg

DSC_0390.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

DSC_0395.jpg

In many ways, with the wind, sore muscles, and lack of sleep it was a miserable experience. However, it also proved that when it comes to chasing gold, it doesn't take much to make you feel truly rich.

• Like 5

Great photos. That fish looks a little bigger than the other golden trout photos I've seen, nice work.

Never caught a golden before. Are they a char? Just noticing the white edges on their fins.

I noticed the white edges too. They're a trout, though. A subspecies of rainbow if I'm not mistaken.

Love it. I've been up there before. Did the hike starting at 0 dark thirty and spent the day up there before heading out. Made for a long day trip but doable. It is simply breathtaking up there, never mind even catching fish, the lakes and area is pure bliss in and of itself. I was lucky enough that it was a somewhat calmer day and the fish were very active.

• Like 1