Fly Fusion Forums

Bull Trout Streams

I am looking to hook into my first Bull this weekend, looking for a good place to go. I am not interested in the Livingstone or Oldman area, as I have heard those areas get extremely busy in the summer months. Was thinking the Kootenay River in BC in Kootenay National park, but was curious if there are any better streams nearby (Calgary area) for Bulls?

Highwood or Sheep have bulls and are close to ya. Any deep pools with streamer patterns give you a chance. Cover a lot of water, if a bull is in the mood he'll let you know real quick. Don't waste too much time fishing over fish you can see, they've seen you too ;-)

• Like 1

Fish the Sheep @ the bridge at Indian Oils Day-use Site to the headwaters. Most guys don't like walking that far but its well worth it

Note: from bridge at Indian Oils Day-use site downstream to Gorge Creek and tributaries (except Gorge Creek) - CLOSED

Also Gorge Creek is pretty good but you need to hike roughly 3kms to find a good Bull trout hole. I think its well worth it.

Sandy McNabb gets pressured to hard, so don't waste your time there.

Look forward to seeing some great Bull trout pics.