Fly Fusion Forums

Less Than 3 Weeks To New Zealand.

Got all my accoms & car rentals booked & guides too on both the N and S islands, and I can hardly sleep waiting to get over there. Fishing starts Nov 23 and goes until Dec. 02, and I have several days exploring water on my own lined up (with a smidge of help from the guides I've hired). Man-oh-man, I wish I was going tomorrow. Must......sleep...............

Here's a link to a great site on guides/fishing in NZ:

www.flyfishingnz.co.nz

Also, the NZ flyfishing forum - stop by & sign-in & become part of it all! www.flyshop.co.nz/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi

Guest bigbadbrent

Hey glen,

a bit much to ask, but is there anyway you can send me EVERY story, every anecdote that you can..im planning on going for a solid 6-12 months in 2009..so that'd be great man.....tips, anything!

I've been told by my co-worker, (he's been there 7 times, for months at a time) that you MUST go see Tasmania if you have a chance

Have Fun!! Spent Xmas and most of January on the north island, didn't fish as much as i would have liked but still got out a bit, rivers around Taupo are spectacular, clear water and big fish.

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

and theres always beach action as well, this was on Matakana Island

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

Colin

Cdone, Taupo is the destination on the N island. I will be guided there by Craig Farrar, and also fish myself there for a few days. I can hardly wait.

BBB, I will provide as much info as I can ( and hopefully pics too) on my trip. I am also planning on hitting Tas for a fish, as I have a buddy that will fly me down there for gas, so I'd be an idiot not to go. We'll see how much of an idiot I really am. (I'm betting BIG idiot, based on my life up to now). I will also be fishing the Snowy Mountains area of Australia, so I hope there are going to be some pics from there too.

I have had almost exclusively good interactions with the guides in NZ, and I will be happy to report on what everything turns out like.

Esleech, bacon tastes waaaaaaaay better when a nice girl prepares it for you.....strore bought or otherwise! ( I can't shoot stuff - 'cept targets)

Brownstone, I will hook a trophy just for you. I will say it out loud when I do, and email you the pic when I do. PM me your email so I can send this once-in-a-life-time pic to you. Cheers Greg.

Colin, no nets for me man! Just kidding, it's cool knowing you've been there & I am so stoked to get there too. I hope the board members don't mind an exhaustive post once I return. I hope to have lots of pics & info to share, so anyone from the board who wants to go will have a good base of info to start with for their trip of a lifetime.

Glenbow

Cdone, Taupo is the destination on the N island. I will be guided there by Craig Farrar, and also fish myself there for a few days. I can hardly wait.

Esleech, bacon tastes waaaaaaaay better when a nice girl prepares it for you.....strore bought or otherwise! ( I can't shoot stuff - 'cept targets)

Colin, no nets for me man! Just kidding, it's cool knowing you've been there & I am so stoked to get there too. I hope the board members don't mind an exhaustive post once I return. I hope to have lots of pics & info to share, so anyone from the board who wants to go will have a good base of info to start with for their trip of a lifetime.

Glenbow

Thanks, I'd forgotten how good the bacon was in NZ, now I'm gonna have dreams about it.

Glen, my brother in-law is a Kiwi and he has family that run an avocado farm on Matakana Island, we we're lucky enough to get to visit, as you can see from the picture of the beach there wasn't a soul except for a couple guys that we're netting these mackerel like fish only 10 or 15 feet from the shore, sure wish I had a rod with me that day.

Taupo was great, unfortunately the weather didn't co-operate and the rivers we're blown for the week we were there, only got out on the Waitahanu River (20 minutes south of Taupo) a couple times.

Colin

Guest bigbadbrent

let me especially know which island you prefer..i want to stay away from auckland for at least a month or two..see if i can find a farmers land to camp on

I am choosing to spend as much of my time away in the wild either chasing trout, or just looking around. I will also admire the culture that is the cities that I will visit, although as most of us would prefer, I will choose to lose myself in nature. I do want to learn what it is to be there, and I think that includes the cities and the wild (for me).

I understand the S island to be the 'mostest' but I really want to spend some time on both islands to feel it out for myself. I will let you know for sure what my impressions are. I am going with an open mind, and I will be pleasantly suprised with what adventures befall me. I can say this though, unless I travel with an open mind, I will not experience all that my destination has to offer.

Anything I can tell you, I will.

Got all my accoms & car rentals booked & guides too on both the N and S islands, and I can hardly sleep waiting to get over there. Fishing starts Nov 23 and goes until Dec. 02, and I have several days exploring water on my own lined up (with a smidge of help from the guides I've hired). Man-oh-man, I wish I was going tomorrow. Must......sleep...............

We spent 2 and a half months there, arrived at Christchurch on 17th November last year. Did south island first then north. Recommend the area around te Anau and Wanaka. Bluefin tuna off coast while staying at Greymouth was a blast but landing one is an all-nighter. Pricey but FUN. Best time and fishing had was at in the rivers around Lake Taupo on north island s well as in the lake itself. Really enjoyed ocean fishing in Bay of Plenty area, lots of charter outfits. We found the water to be a bit too high in many rivers, but that was often not a real issue.

Should have done more ocean fishing and snorkling but if we were to go again, would do more of that.

Take your fly tying outfit. Make SURE you clean your fly line and equipment as well as boots and waders because they did check our stuff.

If I were to do it again, I would just stay down there and not bother coming back...