Fly Fusion Forums

River Left Casting

alhuger

Hey all,

I am trying to figure out something which might be obvious so bear with me. I am trying to figure out how to get my cast into position when my left shoulder is facing upstream. To put this in context, I also cast over my left shoulder. What I am doing now is once my fly is down stream I sweep the rod out to circle line over to my left side. Once the leader is about parallel with me I forward cast. Typically this is not a problem but I find sometimes I come *very* close to hooking myself even with no downstream wind. I know I can snap t the line over no problem but this really whips the hell out of my upstream water and I'd like to avoid this. Is the answer the double spey?

Without having the whole thing totally clear in my head, I would hypothesize that a double spey might be the answer.

Treat picking up the line as you would with raising the line after casting a dry to a finicky riser - use the rod & gently lift until you get your line out of the water (at least up to the leader) & lift for the first spey. Make sure your first spey brings your fly to the opposite side of you for the second spey. I have trouble with crossing my line when double spey casting, so I am not the best source for advice! I of course am no pro at this and tend to use the spey for stillwater where this is easier to do. On moving water I am even more of a hack than on stillwater, on which I am still a hack. But I caught fish & that's good! Give this a try (if it makes sense to you) and see if it works for you. If not, sorry I couldn't be more help, and good luck.

Gordon, what say you?

a 'Cackeyed' Double Spey (thats what Simon Gawesworth would call it) or a Snakeroll. Snap 'T' or 'C' would also be an alternative cast as well. Something that I spent almost a whole winter season on was learning to cast with my off hand, (for you that would be top hand right, bottom left) it has allowed me to be much more versatile with my casts, also frees up both sides of the river equally.

Colin

a 'Cackeyed' Double Spey (thats what Simon Gawesworth would call it) or a Snakeroll. Snap 'T' or 'C' would also be an alternative cast as well. Something that I spent almost a whole winter season on was learning to cast with my off hand, (for you that would be top hand right, bottom left) it has allowed me to be much more versatile with my casts, also frees up both sides of the river equally.

Colin

Thanks Colin, that's helpful. Btw - saw your photo posts, nice fish.

If I am understanding this correctly, you should be using the single spey(which you already are). There are a few techniques to try, my favorite is to start a gradual lift over your right shoulder, this helps clear the line from the water, then continue on as you normally would single speying.

Your biggest problem you are probably having right now, is not clearing the line from the water and the anchor ends up landing very close to your upstream side. If it is cleared properly, you can place it where ever you'd like.

Dean

If I am understanding this correctly, you should be using the single spey(which you already are). There are a few techniques to try, my favorite is to start a gradual lift over your right shoulder, this helps clear the line from the water, then continue on as you normally would single speying.

Your biggest problem you are probably having right now, is not clearing the line from the water and the anchor ends up landing very close to your upstream side. If it is cleared properly, you can place it where ever you'd like.

Dean

Thanks Dean, I am headed out this afternoon, I will give that a shot.

Hi Alhuger,

I think most of the guys have given you good advice while i have been fishing before heading home, i think the double is the one you are looking for, start short and slow, most people tend to rush all the casts and try to force the rod, and thats the last thing to do.

Go as slow as you can, feel the line and start short, its just practice, and if its practice dont bother with a fly, but always wear eye protection.

Hope this helps, and hope to see you cast across the Bow with easy by the time i get back.

Cheers Gordon.

Thanks all of you for your advice, I also got to speak with SilverDoc last night so I cannot claim lack of skill from a dearth of good counsel. I am going to pick up the Simon Gawseworth's video this morning as well. Thursday I am on the water so I will see how it goes.

Cheers,

al