Fly Fusion Forums

Hardy Reels

sallinger

How does one go about determining the age of older hardy reels? I recently picked up a St John MK2 and a St John 3 7/8. Also found a Marquis #7. Trying to determine value and age of these reels. Also if anyone knows where I could possibly send these to get a tune-up/over haul would be greatly appreciated.

Coincidentally,I was just watching a Marquis#7 in nice condition that went on eBay yesterday for $173 CDN,which is probably getting to the upper end of the price spectrum....more then I wanted to pay anyways,but fair enough if one really wanted that reel?

I'm far from being any kind of authority,but I do have 3 St.John Mk2s.I can tell you the SJ was introduced in 1923,and the Mk2 is post WWII.That said,not all Mk2 check SJs are inscribed with MK2 for some reason?Then,there's a few quite rare specimens inscribed MKII vs. MK2.Earlier models will have a ribbed brass foot,later models like the two I have from 70's-early 80's(?) have aluminum feet.Then the old relic SJ I have has a steel foot.The older (pre-war?) SJ and maybe(?) some MK2's can have a 3 screw spool latch vs. the 2 screw.Also older reels have the foot riveted on vs. screwed.

The Marquis was introduced in late 60's,68 or 69 I beleive?The earliest Marquis will have a ribbed brass foot.Then some time in early 70's,Hardy produced these same reels for Scientific Anglers,and they were marketed as the SA System 5,6,7 etc.,and my best guess is they have the aluminum foot since around then??Not sure when Hardy DCd the Marquis line,but just a few years ago they re-introduced the salmon sizes to meet the demand and request of the Marquis faithful fans,ie,the Marquis Salmon #1,2,and 3.The new Salmons have a slightly improved spool design,but oddly enough,Hardy hasn't badged them as Mk2??The new spools will still fit in the older frames.

As for value,depends on condition and really just whatever somebody is willing to pay for it?I often see Marquis trout sizes going for anywhere from $100-$150....$173 yesterday?The Salmons seem to fetch a bit more,and you can now buy a brand new improved for $325 and up starting with the #1.

With the SJs,again,depends on cond,vintage etc,but for a reasonably good useable reel with some "character" scratches and such,$175-225 seems about average.Very rare or mint cond models can fetch $300+

Hopefully Dutchie will chime in,rumor has it he knows a little bit about old Hardys,lol. ;)