Fly Fusion Forums

Need Help Picking A New Waterproof Camera

I am looking for some input based on personal experience to help me pick my new camera. my previous one was the pentax optio w60 which is no longer working!

I have narrowed the search down to either the Olympus TG-2, Nikon AW120 or the Panasonic lumix DMC-TS5 I have also considered the gopro hero 3+ black but it is big step up in price and I am not sure how much video I would do, it would mostly be for stills. The camera will be used for fishing, camping and vacations. so something with good all around pic quality would be great. I am interested in hearing pros and cons about any of the cameras I have listed.

thanks Wayne

My Olympus has been fantastic, it is from a few years back but it is super durable (I lost one in the weeds about 5m deep in Italy in salt water and found it the next day and it worked just fine after being submerged for 12 + hours) . The gopro is also a good option because with a head mount it will capture your hookup and fight and you can pull stills off the video (my profile pic is a still taken off a video that I took, but I had to drop the res for the upload). Saying all that, a point and shoot waterproof camera will take good footage and better stills. You can always hand it to a fishing buddy and get him to capture your fight.

My experience is very narrow as I have not used either of the other options that you are looking so I hope it is still helpful. Good luck with the purchase.

• 2 weeks later...